Reloading for the 6.5xx55

tikkat3tac

Hi all,

Recently purchased a 6.5x55 TIKKA to compliment a. 223 TIKKA .

Found out that if I join a particular range in Ireland and my reloading application is subsequently accepted, I could reload.

Do you have any recommended sources for loads for the 6.5x55 in particular? It's 1:8 twist.

Thanks

An odd powder, but I like IMR 7828SSC with bullets of 120 - 140 grains. It has given me top accuracy in my rifles so far.~Andrew

Thanks Andrew, much appreciated.

I have never loaded so this is a start from scratch situation to the point that I need to find so much guidance.

Thank you

I use N160 for 120gn and 140gn bullets, IMR4350 and RL17 for 129gn bullets. Great speeds, low pressures and great external ballistics. You'll grow to love this cartridge!

Best wishes

Finman

Definitely N160, I have tried many different powders and found that N160 is about the best for this calibre for the 120 and 140 hunting bullets. "It's also a clean burning powder"

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help.

I am looking forward to trying it.

Need to get reloading equipment. I am guessing you can spend as much as your wallet will allow. Going to just get a basic kit to start as I am buying a new Zeiss as well.

Off to do some shopping and research

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help.

I am looking forward to trying it.

Need to get reloading equipment. I am guessing you can spend as much as your wallet will allow. Going to just get a basic kit to start as I am buying a new Zeiss as well.

Off to do some shopping and research

OK enjoy-most of us start with modest kit-but soon want to upgrade.

Performance depends on the rifle,scope,ammunition.(the shooter will learn about wind,but that can't be bought!)

The relative extra cost for good dies from the start ( Redding,Wilson,Forster) is modest in all this,though every £100 counts-I would try not to scrimp there,as it risks being the weak link,which will let down the rifle/scope/you. This is also even more true for components-get good bullets-Sierra /Hornady - (berger if your rifle shoots well),and the right powder.Don't compromise-it is a 'weak link in the chain' scenario.( a £15 lee auto prime is the exception-good) You don't need affictionado's toys...yet!! Good shooting,and enjoy.

Gbal

Another +1 for N160. I reload for mine and 3 other 6.5 x 55, we all use this powder with 120 gr bullets. Don't be too worried about seating the bullet close to the lands, my R93 is back 180 thou and the others are from 150 to 220 thou back and all will easily shoot .6" or better

Thanks dice horn,

From reading online it seems 44gr n160 works very well for the 120gr.k

Can't wait to get started.

Yes I use the Sierra Pro Hunters in 120 gr and am at 47.3 gr of N160. But obviously you must come down below that 44gr as a start in your rifle. Interestingly, I have just completed a chap's Tikka T3 lite and with 46.3gr and 180 thou back produced excellent accuracy. But again please start well below the levels I have quoted.

Archived