Training

Safeshot

We have not posted our training opportunities for a while and thought this would be a good opportunity to provide a reminder and a news update on what we offer and provide a link to our website
Safeshot is primarily a training organisation providing shooter safety-training for those wishing to gain a qualification, as evidence of their competency, in order to obtain an open firearms certificate. There has been much discussion recently about the continued use of mentoring conditions, and what may replace them.
Safeshot was initially in partnership with Bicton College, in the South West, which gave a good location plus a certain level of academic underpinning but brought with it a considerable increase in costs. We decided, on their recommendation, to add value to our courses by achieving accreditation at National level. This was undoubtedly the way forward and this accreditation ensures that the training provided meets rigorous OFQUAL standards and is delivered to suit the individual and their learning style.
As a result we are now able to provide:

The original Safeshot course, now a nationally accredited qualification, but delivered in 20 hours (2 days). Although a dedicated Firearms Safety course, the cost is similar to the cost of most DSC courses being run in the UK. It will still be deliverable in the South West but primarily at Bisley.

Other training needs you may have: these could include moving-target training for those going boar shooting, preparation for hunting in Africa,(with our UK based qualified RSA Professional hunter) precision rifle shooting, or for the beginner intending to get their first sporting .22

Whichever course you might choose, please note that all our instructors are experienced professionals who have both practical training experience and recent operational deployments as rifle operatives, and as such are equipped to help you achieve your best performance when you are shooting. They understand that every student has a different learning style and can adapt their delivery to suit the individual. All will have been core instructors teaching the basic skills for the rifle operative including:
Basic principles of marksmanship
Zeroing and equipment choice
Safety and handling
Improvised shooting positions
Wind and weather
Moving targets and snap targets
Judging distance and unknown-distance shooting
Rifle maintenance
Thanks for taking the time to have a look. Our website is at www.safeshot.org.uk

Excellent new website. After reading your post, it answered what would have been my first question:

All of our instructors on the Safeshot course are either nationally qualified Police or MoD firearms instructors who are experienced in shooting over land and are operationally competent in the subject being delivered.

Out of interest is the course approved by all Police areas?

Not my place to answer as I'm assuming; but the website says the qual is Ofqual endorsed (which I take it as meaning that it sits on the QCF) - I'm not sure that the DSC courses even do that (they didn't back when I did them). If it's on the QCF, they don't really have an option but to accept it....my read at least :) .

Not my place to answer as I'm assuming; but the website says the qual is Ofqual endorsed (which I take it as meaning that it sits on the QCF) - I'm not sure that the DSC courses even do that (they didn't back when I did them). If it's on the QCF, they don't really have an option but to accept it....my read at least :) .

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the questions. BD your comment is also our view which is why we went for this option.

Police approval is a more difficult one to answer. The courses have been presented to the South West region licensing meeting and FELWEG with no adverse comment. It does depend on the individual force area. Some forces are still using mentoring conditions against the suggestions of the ACPO lead on firearms licensing.

We have recently run a bespoke course for an individual who having passed the course ( proved competent in all of the assessment criteria ) is now going back to his licensing team with evidence to support an open certificate. Based upon the evidence he now has I cannot see that they can refuse.

If you would like more info please contact us and we will send you further details. We do not put all of the information on the website as some of it has already been nicked by somebody else!

Safeshot, thanks for your reply. I'm still a little unclear though. Do any constabularies actually recognise your training as proof of competency/safety? If so which constabularies?

How can any constabulary recognise training when there is no legal requirement for any ?

In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. :)

There's no legal requirement for mentoring or DSC passes either; but some forces demand them. When I renew my FAC I always present an unarguable bundle of evidence. Strikes me that if I didn't have a lot of what I've done 'in the bag'; then DSC or the Safeshot course are what I'd be looking at to build my 'unarguable' case.....and if I wasn't interested in deer stalking, that would narrow the field to a choice of one. Seems to me that with 44 fiefdoms doing whatever they want, regardless -or in spite- of National direction, the only way to know whether this would be of value in your licensing area is............to ask your particular force :o .

In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. :)

There's no legal requirement for mentoring or DSC passes either; but some forces demand them. When I renew my FAC I always present an unarguable bundle of evidence. Strikes me that if I didn't have a lot of what I've done 'in the bag'; then DSC or the Safeshot course are what I'd be looking at to build my 'unarguable' case.....and if I wasn't interested in deer stalking, that would narrow the field to a choice of one. Seems to me that with 44 fiefdoms doing whatever they want, regardless -or in spite- of National direction, the only way to know whether this would be of value in your licensing area is............to ask your particular force :o .

this is very much the same as my attitude , send in a pile of 'training' certs etc to hopefully create an unarguable bundle of evidence? this is despite the fact that they have all my info for the last 25years of FAC ownership , if you present them with the info then they don't have to get up and go and find it themselves ?

Recognition of training has nothing to do with what is legally required? Safeshot's own website, under the title of 'Reassurance' states 'Police approved'. I am merely seeking clarification as to which Police constabularies have approved the course.

I agree with others comments. Upon renewal I always include 'evidence' as to my own competency as a matter of course and have enjoyed the privilege of an open certificate for many years.

Recognition of training has nothing to do with what is legally required? Safeshot's own website, under the title of 'Reassurance' states 'Police approved'. I am merely seeking clarification as to which Police constabularies have approved the course.

I agree with others comments. Upon renewal I always include 'evidence' as to my own competency as a matter of course and have enjoyed the privilege of an open certificate for many years.

MJR

Thanks for the input. We do have approval from Devon and Cornwall Police who we first presented the course to. They were happy for it to replace mentoring conditions and to be a fast track to an open certificate. In our view this is approval.

We expect shooters who want to provide evidence for an open certificate to contact their licensing authority before attending the course with the assessment criteria that we provide. The course is written in format that the Police use for their own training so it's easy to see the learning outcomes that can be achieved. This means that students can check before they pay for the training.

We strongly agree with evidence of competency being the best option on the route to an open FAC.

Archived