R700 value

Swamp Donkey

The scenario.

I have a slot for a 260, the idea being that I'll be getting my tikka 595 rebarrelled soon. Primarily as a long range varmint build.

But, tonight, I have been offered a Rem 700 in 260, scoped,timney trigger, with detachable mag, dies and brass, for a fairly cheap price.

But, I hate rems. And it's got a very, very light barrel profile, so it's nothing close to what I want.

So, my question really, is, what's the bare gun, on it's own with the trigger worth ? Either as a shooter (and it's good apparently) or as a donor action to somebody ? I'm just wondering if it's worth buying, keeping the scope, dies etc, and shifting it on and getting what I pay back.

Opinions please.......

SD- i Wouldn't touch it, get the 595 rebarreled its a stronger action . I nearly bought a m595 just to have a new built .20 cal , but now going fully custom action . Dont get me wrong some remmys seem really good , my std .223 remmy VLS was really accurate with je floating the barrel and homeloads . It could shoot less than 1/2 MOA @ 200 , had it blueprint re- barrel 1/8 twist and it shoots a little worse . Many tack drivers have been m595 s ;)

I was never going to use it for a donor, personally, I hate remmys. The 595 is getting done at some point, but it shoots well now, so in no hurry.

I might even get the 222 rebarrelled first as the inside of the barrel has more pits than Derbyshire had at the height of the coal industry. And I'll probably keep it as the 'out of fashion' 222 too and not go 20tac etc. but I've not tried one yet, so things can change ;)

Still not using a remmy though. Lol

Archived