Guide 518c thermal issue

silent_varmintor

Hello.

I purchased a guide 518C near the tail end of last year. I seem to be experiencing a slight issue with the unit. If I am looking in an area without any of the sky then my picture is perfect, but as soon as I move the unit to maybe look in an area that has the skyline within its picture then the whole image becomes a dull grey colour and no heat is able to be picked up. As soon as I tilt the unit off the skyline it becomes fine again. If I am picking up heat on the top of a hill on the horizon then the only way to view it is to have the subject barely in view in the screen so I am cutting out the sky. I never had this problem when I 1st got the unit as I remember viewing Roe Deer on a hill but when I try and replicate this view I cannot.

The screen looks like it was more sensitive to heat at the top and bottom portions of the screen. If I pick up heat in the middle of the screen and then move the subject to the top or bottom then the white / black gets a lot brighter and more obvious.

As I couldn't find anybody with the same problem I just took this as normal and left it the way it was.

Thanks

I was able to help another Guide user who was having trouble with his unit, Thomas jacks had told him the unit was OK but when we did a direct comparison with my unit it was blindingly obvious that it was faulty and TJ's then agreed and it was swapped out for a new unit.

If you can I would find somebody local who has another unit and go from there.

I always found the Guides were very dependant on conditions but this doesn't sound right and definitely didn't happen on the one I had

Send it down to Thomas Jacks but take loads of stills to replicate the problem and send them or sods law says it'll behave perfectly for them when they open the box

Fortunately I'm not a million miles away from them and on the rare occasions I've ever had problems with their kit I've just arranged to take it in and show them first hand

Top company to deal with for warranty/repair work

I was able to help another Guide user who was having trouble with his unit, Thomas jacks had told him the unit was OK but when we did a direct comparison with my unit it was blindingly obvious that it was faulty and TJ's then agreed and it was swapped out for a new unit.

If you can I would find somebody local who has another unit and go from there.

Interesting that because of the units I've seen there did seem to be an small image quality difference between some which I put down to differing conditions.Obviously a side by side comparison is the only true test as you say

There is a guy that lives only 10 minutes for me with the same unit. We went out one night for the comparison and he agreed there was something wrong with the unit that it was more sensitive to the top and bottom Portion of the screen. I never had the issue with the skyline at that point but I did ask him and he reckons it's got to do with the sky being along colder than anything else and is normal.

I emailed TJ this morning and they've asked for my serial number so ill get it tonight as I'm at work just now.

I have videos to show this if anyone is interested ill stick them up.

Craig

I sent my Pulsar Quantum back to TJ beginning of this week, it was having start-up problems

& serious image issues. I spoke to them this morning It is defective, software/firmware problem.

It has to go back to Lithuania for repair could be three months before I get it back...back to the lamp :(

There is a guy that lives only 10 minutes for me with the same unit. We went out one night for the comparison and he agreed there was something wrong with the unit that it was more sensitive to the top and bottom Portion of the screen. I never had the issue with the skyline at that point but I did ask him and he reckons it's got to do with the sky being along colder than anything else and is normal.

I emailed TJ this morning and they've asked for my serial number so ill get it tonight as I'm at work just now.

I have videos to show this if anyone is interested ill stick them up.

Craig

By all means post them but I think you've answered your own question with the comparison

I had another play about last night and it seems better with it set on semi auto and adjusting the gain. This helped with the image when the sky was in view and when pointing it back down and removing the sky from its view it's very dull and hard to see anything. Last thing I want to do here is have to go in and mess about with settings when out in the field.

Craig

Just a thought lads..... I bought this last September / October time when it probably wasn't as cold as it is now. You reckon that with the warm air in the mild months wouldn't show this change in contrast happening as much as it does now being pretty cold ?

Just don't want to leave it IF there is something wrong with it u know. But at the same time don't want to send it away for possible months if there is nothin wrong.

Just a thought

Craig

After seeing your video my HD38 does a similar thing, I sure that it's not faulty but do try and keep it below the sky line so to speak and it's fine. Interesting TJ want it back though, hope you get it back soon!

I'm not sure if they only want it back as they have no idea what could be wrong with it. If this is not an issue then I'm reluctant to send it away for what could be a while without anything getting done as it's not defective at all

Craig

You've got to send it back now just for peace of mind :unsure:

I'm not sure if they only want it back as they have no idea what could be wrong with it. If this is not an issue then I'm reluctant to send it away for what could be a while without anything getting done as it's not defective at all

Craig

Now you've got a dilemma!!

Andy, at some point during the day ive always got a dilemma !!!

I quite believe that it does do this with your mates camo304, im just finding it hard to believe when it didnt do it before.

Ill have a play about over the weekend and see if i get different results on different settings.

craig

My HD38 goes wierd if too much sky but works bang on other wise. Regarding the time of year I have found much better images in the cold weather generally and a lot less clarity if it is warm or worse, muggy

Archived