Brief intro, and a question about the Savage model 12 long range precision rifle

Evenin' all,

I'm keen to know if any members are running a Savage model 12 long range precision rifle in .260?

Got a slot for a .260, and i'm diggin' the look of this Savage. Got an AI AW as no.1 gun, fancy something slightly more sporterish, but still want to be able to put it into action beyond the usual stalking distances.

It would most likely be used for park culling as well, so that thick barrel is going to be an advantage if multiple shots are taken in quick succession.

Any comments on the Savage would be gratefully received.

All the best,

Simmo

I'd think you'll struggle with getting any feedback on this one. The Savage 12 LRP is a fairly recent introduction (launched middle of 2011) and wasn't imported into the UK until well after it appeared in the USA. The 12 LRPV (Long Range Precision Varminter) predates the LRP by several years and has been imported here for maybe six years, but they are still as rare as hen's teeth.

The LRP appears to share many features with the Varminter version, the main changes being the use of the repeater variant of the 12 Precision action while the LRPV has a single-shot 12 PTA (Precision Target Action) action, and the LRP is listed as having a 26-inch carbon steel barrel while the Varminter has a similar looking profile same length stainless tube. The LRPVs generally shoot VERY well, and I'd expect the LRP to do the same, but you are buying a rifle with a large factory made mass produced barrel. So, they're variable, and if you're unlucky you get the one in 20 or 100 that doesn't perform.

I'd suggest Googling the rifle to look for the many American reviews that exist online. From what I've seen, far more US buyers have opted for the 6.5mm Hornady Creedmoor chambering than .260 Rem.

FWIW: I have a Long Range Hunter in 308 and am quite pleased with it. I am no kind of precision shooter but from a bipod, of all things, I can screw round after round into a raggety hole at 100M with my handloads. I have done nothing to this rifle. I unboxed it, swabbed the barrel clean then dry, and proceeded to shoot it. Working up 155 grain Palma loads for it at the moment. 168 grain A-MAX and Match Kings have been my latest fodder. This isn't specifically what you asked about but I seldom hear of an inaccurate Savage.~Andrew

Thanks for your replies chaps,

If i end up with one I'll do an informal review. I'd noted the 6.5 was the most popular stateside, am hoping that'll mean good availability with the .260 here.

:)

Archived