22-250 foxes & 22lr for rabbits.

hi can anyone tell me the best 22-250 &.22 long rifle to buy for fox shooting also what would be the best ammo for the job, i am looking at shooting them upto 200yrds and as there are so many types of rifles and ammo out there i want to buy the most reliable rifle and ammo thanks for reading il look forward to some advice from the pro foxes shooters thank you

.22 long rifle to buy for fox shooting , i am looking at shooting them upto 200yrds

You wont be shooting anything at 200 yards with a .22 LR let alone fox! If fox is what you are shooting and 200 yards is your given distance then its only the .22-250 out of the two that you have listed that is suitable for the job.

my mistake lol, the 22-250 for foxes and 22lr for rabbits upto 100yds

any rifle chambered in 22-250 will put a fox down regardless of what comes out of the tube.if your only going out to 200yds-are you sure on that?-then a 223 will suffice as will any other .22cf.if the 250 is your choice a remmy will be a good starting point.

a lot of first time foxers think you need a cannon to knock charlie down-you dont but you pays your money-etc.

plenty of 2nd hand rifles on guntrader and gun star ask the gun plumbers on this site if they have any suitable rifles for sale at least you can buy with confidence.-good luck with your choice.

For fox to 200y the 22/250 is as good a cartridge as any (from 17 to 6mm). Sighted 1 inch high at 100y,it will be dead on at 200,with almost any loading-just use an expanding bullet.Energy is more than adequate.

Rifle is really down to your preference-you would be very unlucky to get one that was not accurate enough,in almost any configuration,though bolt action usually has an edge.Factory models are quite good enough,but indulge if you wish.

22rf is a decent rabbit cartridge to 75y,maybe 100 in good conditions,with careful shooting and good wind reading (more so than for the 22/250).Again,wide choice-choose an expanding bullet that has shown good accuracy in the rifle of your choice-they do vary a bit-and again,there is generally a wide choice (perhaps up market bolt actions like sako/anschutz have an edge in accuracy,which may come into play at longer range.)

Gbal

my mistake lol, the 22-250 for foxes and 22lr for rabbits upto 100yds

Nigel-look in the for sale section frank666 is selling a 22-250 hes a good lad and the rifle will be spot on.

Personally I wouldnt have a 22-250 for fox a lot of powder and barrel wear for just shooting a fox, but 22lr great for rabbit control we use a finfire with Winchester ammo. For fox we use 222, 223 and 223 ackley and they do a great job, and we do shoot one or two a year lol

Gaz

Personally I wouldnt have a 22-250 for fox a lot of powder and barrel wear for just shooting a fox, but 22lr great for rabbit control we use a finfire with Winchester ammo. For fox we use 222, 223 and 223 ackley and they do a great job, and we do shoot one or two a year lol

Gaz

Yeah second this , if up2 200 id go 222 , there very accurate low recoil low noise - moderated and no way near a barrel burner ! Cheers gaz , dont you mean 1or2 thousand lol :lol:

Yeah second this , if up2 200 id go 222 , there very accurate low recoil low noise - moderated and no way near a barrel burner ! Cheers gaz , dont you mean 1or2 thousand lol :lol:

Well come to think of it you could put a couple of zeros on the 2 part I guess ;) lol

Don't no why people think a 22-250 is the bees knees for foxing, ok they will kill a fox but so will most rifles when put in the right hands. It just seems a lot of powder to fire a bullet fast, my 222 shot a 50gr vmax about 2950 fps and it killed a lot of foxes in 7 years and some good 250 yard plus ones aswell, 300 yards is along way at night I'd say most foxes are shot between 150-200 yards at night. Like he said he's only shooting at 200 yards so save your money on powder and barrels and go 222/223

Gaz

Well come to think of it you could put a couple of zeros on the 2 part I guess ;) lol

Don't no why people think a 22-250 is the bees knees for foxing, ok they will kill a fox but so will most rifles when put in the right hands. It just seems a lot of powder to fire a bullet fast, my 222 shot a 50gr vmax about 2950 fps and it killed a lot of foxes in 7 years and some good 250 yard plus ones aswell, 300 yards is along way at night I'd say most foxes are shot between 150-200 yards at night. Like he said he's only shooting at 200 yards so save your money on powder and barrels and go 222/223

Gaz

Tend to agree, not often I shoot at one over 200 yards at night not that I am doing much shooting wise these days due to work commitments.

22.250 is a great killer yes but in an average weight un moderated rifle the recoil will lift the barrel and you wont see the bullet arrive. Its also LOUD, very loud. There are far more suitable calibers such as 222 + 223 already mentioned.

A

any rifle chambered in 22-250 will put a fox down regardless of what comes out of the tube.if your only going out to 200yds-are you sure on that?-then a 223 will suffice as will any other .22cf.if the 250 is your choice a remmy will be a good starting point.

a lot of first time foxers think you need a cannon to knock charlie down-you dont but you pays your money-etc.

plenty of 2nd hand rifles on guntrader and gun star ask the gun plumbers on this site if they have any suitable rifles for sale at least you can buy with confidence.-good luck with your choice.

thanks for your advice on this il have a look on the gun trader and contact gun plumbers to see what they have got thanks again for taking the time to reply, nigel..

thanks for your advice on this il have a look on the gun trader and contact gun plumbers to see what they have got thanks again for taking the time to reply, nigel..

ok thanks for your advice il look into a 223 also cheers

Gaz

ok thanks for your reply how quickly does a 22-250 barrel ware out ? il look into the other calibre if they ware out quickly thanks again nige..

Gaz

ok thanks for your reply how quickly does a 22-250 barrel ware out ? il look into the other calibre if they ware out quickly thanks again nige..

ok great advice cheers

Gaz

ok great advice cheers

Tend to agree, not often I shoot at one over 200 yards at night not that I am doing much shooting wise these days due to work commitments.

22.250 is a great killer yes but in an average weight un moderated rifle the recoil will lift the barrel and you wont see the bullet arrive. Its also LOUD, very loud. There are far more suitable calibers such as 222 + 223 already mentioned.

A

yes a few are saying 222 its somthing i need to look into thanks for the reply

Gaz

ok great advice cheers

A

For fox to 200y the 22/250 is as good a cartridge as any (from 17 to 6mm). Sighted 1 inch high at 100y,it will be dead on at 200,with almost any loading-just use an expanding bullet.Energy is more than adequate.

Rifle is really down to your preference-you would be very unlucky to get one that was not accurate enough,in almost any configuration,though bolt action usually has an edge.Factory models are quite good enough,but indulge if you wish.

22rf is a decent rabbit cartridge to 75y,maybe 100 in good conditions,with careful shooting and good wind reading (more so than for the 22/250).Again,wide choice-choose an expanding bullet that has shown good accuracy in the rifle of your choice-they do vary a bit-and again,there is generally a wide choice (perhaps up market bolt actions like sako/anschutz have an edge in accuracy,which may come into play at longer range.)

Gbal

great advice thank you and thanks for taking the time to reply ,nigel

Gaz

ok great advice cheers

A

Gbal

great advice thank you and thanks for taking the time to reply ,nigel

Nigel-look in the for sale section frank666 is selling a 22-250 hes a good lad and the rifle will be spot on.

ok il have a look thank you

Gbal

thanks for the info and thanks for taking the time to reply great advice cheers

Gbal

thanks for the info and thanks for taking the time to reply great advice cheers

A

thanks for your advice guys

Think about wind bucking rounds also. You live in a windy country. Lol that's why I shoot a 22-250. 204 a possible look at. One question are you home loading?

22-250 isn't that fussy a cartridge. If your not. I honestly couldn't tell you about .223. 220 swift was something I looked at as well as .222 all great cals. If you go for a 22-250 try and get a 1:12twist barrel. Will take the 53gr vmax well enough.

CZV

Think about wind bucking rounds also. You live in a windy country. Lol that's why I shoot a 22-250. 204 a possible look at. One question are you home loading?

22-250 isn't that fussy a cartridge. If your not. I honestly couldn't tell you about .223. 220 swift was something I looked at as well as .222 all great cals. If you go for a 22-250 try and get a 1:12twist barrel. Will take the 53gr vmax well enough.

CZV

Myself and 6 or more so shooters have try the 53 vmax and they arnt consistent enough to be a good bullet, just because they have a high bc most people think that they are. Myself, Si snipe and sir slots a lot, I know have tryed most things to try and get them to work but you always seem to get the odd one in 90% of groups hit a inch of target. For me the 52gr amax in my 223 ackley 1/12 twist are doing a 100% more better any day.

Cheers Gaz

Back to the original thread if I was starting out either with 22.250 or 223 incidentally i have the latter and think its great calibre! I'd go for a tikka in centerfire reliable accurate and loads of mods available if you want to customise in the future.

And for every day work horse .22 bunny basher a Cz will do the job fine but you will be pushing it at 100yrd to make clean head shots you might want to consider a .17 of some sorts.

CZV

ok thanks for that,no i'm not home loading just use what i can buy cheers for the advice

Back to the original thread if I was starting out either with 22.250 or 223 indecently I have the latter and think its great calibre! I'd go for a tikka in centerfire reliable accurate and loads of mods available if you want to customise in the future.

And for every day work horse .22 bunny basher a Cz will do the job fine but you will be pushing it at 100yrd to make clean head shots you might want to consider a .17 of some sorts.

thanks for your advice .22-250 is on the fac

Archived