Fire forming, barrel break-in and load development

Norfresh

I have good experience reloading my own ammo and have done quiet a few load developments now in my short time loadong. But I have always used brass that I had collected from factory ammo fired through the rifle and neck sized.

Now with my 6.5x47 build I am starting off with new Lapua brass that I will using for firing the 1st ever shots through the rifle.

So the brass will be FL sized for the break in procedure. My question is when should I start my load development?

-from the very 1st round?

-after all cases (100) are fire formed and then neck size?

-some stage in between?

thats what i tend to do after 20 odd shots i know a ball p[ark load figure

i dont like to waste good ammo and barrel life if i can help it

So much written on barrel break in. The only part of the barrel that needs breaking in is the throat (assuming its a custom barrel)- that's where any small burrs will be present after the chambering has been done.

However I'm not sure there is really any conclusive evidence to say if a one shot then clean routine actually makes much of a difference to say just sitting down with a box of ammo and cracking on.

Personally I like to shoot more and clean as little as possible. With my AX .260 brand new barrel I went straight into load development after two sighters to get on target. All 5 groups (25 rnds total) were under 1/2" and I've not looked back. Its had one clean since and that's it.

Its your barrel however so do whatever makes you comfortable.

Thats what I like to hear, I wouldn't be a fan of shooting once then cleaning! Think I may do a ladder test with the 1st 10 rounds (just because I've never done before) and start an OCW after that.

Thats what I like to hear, I wouldn't be a fan of shooting once then cleaning! Think I may do a ladder test with the 1st 10 rounds (just because I've never done before) and start an OCW after that.

What's OCW?

Why risk it in a new tube? you only have one chance to do it right . For instance i will soon be breaking in a kreiger , im going to load 30 slightly lower loads to break it in ! Thats what the guy did who invented the caliber im to use . Its upto you tho, id start proper load development after fire forming . ATB-Tim

Archived