6.5x47 case length

tony

I have just finished full length sizeing 100 lapua once fired cases "fired from my rifle" checked in my Berger manual for recommended trimmed length @ 1.840 but found that my cases were all measuring around .005 less than the recommended trim length so question, is this normal for this calibre? Should I trim them at a shorter length?

Have I completely lost the plot and buggered the cases?

Thanks Tony.

If you've simply FL'd them after firing once, there can't be anything wrong.

Def don't trim them further though.. :P

I've used on many occasions .308 brass necked down to 7-08. They're way more than 5 thou short but still work fine.

My 6.5L brass just doesn't seem to stretch much despite running full loads. I am using Redding comp dies, only body bumping. Don't own an FL die.

I'm on my fourth load on what was virgin lap brass and I still have not exceeded oal case length . I've inside and outside chamfered and done the primer hole but still yet to take anything off the o all length . That's checking in a Wilson guage max and min limits , atb Ian

Thanks for your replies guys much appreciated, sounds like I have nothing to worry about, I am used to 6.5x55 cases and they need trimming every time! Just wanted to check.

Thanks Tony.

Tony - ultimately, your case-length is determined by your chamber. If it's a factory rifle there will normally be plenty of room for the case to grow. If it's a custom build, there could be very little. If it is a custom build, the builder can give you the chamber length - I trim 15 thou. off that.

Archived