Hides

Akeld

Not sure if I'm putting this in the right section, but here goes.

Has anyone built a hide within a barn or similar. I read somewhere (possibly one of the shooting mags), that someone had built into the roof space of a barn and had a few hinged flaps to allow shooting over a baited area. As I'm in the position to do similar I'm after a bit of advice . Thanks

Not sure if I'm putting this in the right section, but here goes.

Has anyone built a hide within a barn or similar. I read somewhere (possibly one of the shooting mags), that someone had built into the roof space of a barn and had a few hinged flaps to allow shooting over a baited area. As I'm in the position to do similar I'm after a bit of advice . Thanks

Hi,i also read this article ,if memory serves me wright he made a door on the side of the barn facing the field ,I would think its only a small one similar to a hatch and not down to the floor and I should think it open's inwards ,he also had an outside light with PIR and baited the area within the through of the light ,this is all I recollect .

One I read about was built a bit like a bird watchers hide with drop down flaps. It was sat on to of a shipping container.

The main thing is to make sure whatever you do doesn't end up leaking in.

A dim outside light shining onto your baited area my be better than one that goes on and off. A PIR to a light in the hide would make life easier for you.

Hi, most of my foxing is done wintertime from hides/sheds as you mention.

I have shot from a pig barn with a lot of glass windows(I just used to take one of the windows out and have the rifle set up on a rest).

The downside to this set up was that the foxes are always wary of windows and at full moon there would be reflections.

The set up that I use now is a small hole cut in the side of a shed. The rifle is again set up ready but with the muzzle just inside the opening. When I have id'ed the target I quietly shove the rifle an inch forward so that the report is outside the structure. I usually use electronic peltors and a moderator but it still makes quite a noise if you fire from inside.

My best tips are to sit as far inside the structure as you can as long as you can see the baited area. Dont sit too close to the hole and bob your head back and forth to see if there is anything around. Also if the moon is likely to shine directly in your face you will probably need some form of moonshade to stop the telltale flash of glass from the scope or movement.

I also use PIR detetectors and have space to lay down and kip for a few hours. I sit on a swivel office chair and usually pull all nighters.

If you have any other questions feel free....

DSC01054.jpg

Old pig barn

DSC01055.jpg

View from baiting point

DSC01135.jpg

Wendy house hide

20131202_103633_zpsdf8d79d7.jpg

Latest hide

Hi,i also read this article ,if memory serves me wright he made a door on the side of the barn facing the field ,I would think its only a small one similar to a hatch and not down to the floor and I should think it open's inwards ,he also had an outside light with PIR and baited the area within the through of the light ,this is all I recollect .

Sounds like what I read, I'm currently set up in a large barn full of straw bales shooting through a hole made by a not to vigilant driver. It serves its purpose but it doesn't have bales in all year round. Once its empty I'll have a scan at the roof space and reconsider my options. Those hides pictured look comfy and well thought out. I'm in the process of building a portable fox/doe box built on a pallet for easy transport, as its being made from scrap I have to wait a little longer for the wood to present itself.

Hi, most of my foxing is done wintertime from hides/sheds as you mention.

I have shot from a pig barn with a lot of glass windows(I just used to take one of the windows out and have the rifle set up on a rest).

The downside to this set up was that the foxes are always wary of windows and at full moon there would be reflections.

The set up that I use now is a small hole cut in the side of a shed. The rifle is again set up ready but with the muzzle just inside the opening. When I have id'ed the target I quietly shove the rifle an inch forward so that the report is outside the structure. I usually use electronic peltors and a moderator but it still makes quite a noise if you fire from inside.

My best tips are to sit as far inside the structure as you can as long as you can see the baited area. Dont sit too close to the hole and bob your head back and forth to see if there is anything around. Also if the moon is likely to shine directly in your face you will probably need some form of moonshade to stop the telltale flash of glass from the scope or movement.

I also use PIR detetectors and have space to lay down and kip for a few hours. I sit on a swivel office chair and usually pull all nighters.

If you have any other questions feel free....

DSC01054.jpg

Old pig barn

DSC01055.jpg

View from baiting point

DSC01135.jpg

Wendy house hide

20131202_103633_zpsdf8d79d7.jpg

Latest hide

Very nice, if I had them the mrs would never see me ha

Gaz

Gaz, What with snow clearing/gritting and foxing my Mrs doesn't see me much between Xmas and Easter ;)

I believe that the hide on top of a industrial crate was on the Shooting Show with foxer Gary Green, he even had mains electricity and a kettle.

Very nice, I'm looking for a good point to put myself a hide up at the minute, I'd like a safe range of around 500 yards for plinking and a bait station set around 150 yards that would be good

Gaz

Very nice, I'm looking for a good point to put myself a hide up at the minute, I'd like a safe range of around 500 yards for plinking and a bait station set around 150 yards that would be good

Gaz

A hide/fox box + bait station + rifle topped with nv = bingo.

Haven't had the chance to build one yet, but like the idea of a mobile one to move from farm to farm say 2 months at one site then onto the next. Bait for a week or so with a wildlife camera on bait to see who's visiting and when and to let the foxes become use to the new addition then over the following two-three weeks bait and shoot the locals then carry on baiting to intercept any outsiders that might start to come in.

A hide/fox box + bait station + rifle topped with nv = bingo.

Haven't had the chance to build one yet, but like the idea of a mobile one to move from farm to farm say 2 months at one site then onto the next. Bait for a week or so with a wildlife camera on bait to see who's visiting and when and to let the foxes become use to the new addition then over the following two-three weeks bait and shoot the locals then carry on baiting to intercept any outsiders that might start to come in.

Building with a pallet as a base is the way to go, very sturdy and plenty room for one (two if you like being cosy)

Archived