Does anybody use lee collet dies?

Murph

Yes, and they're very good. A fair number of American long-range Effers use the collet on the neck allied to a body die to get the shoulder position consistent. If you use tyhe collet die alone, you will find with most cartridge designs that the case soon becomes a slight crush fit in the chamber because the shoulder has moved forward a little.

If neck tension seems too light after using this die, size the case twice or even three times, turning it in the shellholder between applications. Many of those who dislike these dies, do so because neck tension is 'too light'. Often, that's not actually so, rather their older traditional dies are creating over-heavy neck tension and they believe that bullets seat 'too easily' into a collet-sized neck.

Much as I like the concept, current examples aren't as well made or finished as they once were. Many fans polish the key internal surfaces and clean out the collet slots before using a newly bought die. In any event, it's worth disassembling a new die, cleaning and inspecting it carefully before use.

Yes, and they're very good. A fair number of American long-range Effers use the collet on the neck allied to a body die to get the shoulder position consistent. If you use tyhe collet die alone, you will find with most cartridge designs that the case soon becomes a slight crush fit in the chamber because the shoulder has moved forward a little.

If neck tension seems too light after using this die, size the case twice or even three times, turning it in the shellholder between applications. Many of those who dislike these dies, do so because neck tension is 'too light'. Often, that's not actually so, rather their older traditional dies are creating over-heavy neck tension and they believe that bullets seat 'too easily' into a collet-sized neck.

Much as I like the concept, current examples aren't as well made or finished as they once were. Many fans polish the key internal surfaces and clean out the collet slots before using a newly bought die. In any event, it's worth disassembling a new die, cleaning and inspecting it carefully before use.

Just as I have done Laurie. Took a half a thou of the rod in the middle of the die to create more neck tension. I then polished it very lightly to get rid of any imperfection. With my fired lapua brass I have run out on the neck from 1/2 to 3/4 of a thou without neck turning. Bought a Sinclair neck turning tool a while back and it has now become obsolete - for my reloading purposes anyway.

I use them for reloading but have found an interesting side use for them. I lightly size military .308 brass on a Collet Die then put them in my Forster trimmer and run a .308" Forster neck reamer through them to reduce the neck wall thickness before reforming to 7mm-08. I have used the same technique to remove the 'doughnut' from 300 Win Mag cases when I reform them to 308 Norma Magnum. It works quite well in this application.~Andrew

Yes I use them for most of the calibres I reload and I generally combine with a Redding Body Die. I set mine up so that the collet does all the work at the top of the stroke with the press arm fully lowered, then as Laurie mentions I rotate the case and run through again. Case neck tension is adequate and consistent.

I use them and have found that you really need to keep them clean. If the collet gets dirty it tends to stick and this can produce a deformed case. IMHO getting consistent tension is the real trick and this is soon learnt with a .308 but I just don't get on with the .223 collet.

some good coments here ! some people havnt had good results with them . but i can honestly say i used collet sizer in 223 and iv had really good accuracy / thru a factory rifle ! an 1" or less at 200 - at 500 first time out with same load was just under 4" -TEN shots ! whats not to like !

Archived