Nightforce Rets - Help!

mozza1

I am going to be purchasing a nightforce 5.5x22x56mm. It's going to be used on a 308 for general target shooting. Distances of 100 -1000 yrd. I need some advice on what would be the most suitable reticle for these disciplines? I have been looking at the MOAR, NP -R2 & NP-R1

I really like the look of the MOAR, but I have never looked through one. I am worried it might be to thick for long distance. Is it really as thick as I have heard?

Anybody had any experience with these or advice would be appreciated .

Hi -reticle preference is subjective,but there are advantages in your choices for general shooting-having the potential of known reference points on the reticule can suit some.I have used the 1RR (12-42),R2 (8-32) and Mil Dot (12-42) out to 1000+ yards.All were good (seldom do conditions allow 42x ).Really,it depends a lot on the size of your target- with a 1000y BR target centre spot at 5 inches or so,the finer cross hair of the RR allowed the best precision,but the R2 was at least adequate,and a little easier to pick up at all ranges.The mil dot was easiest to see,and at least OK for most small targets (I mean 5 inches or so,if a little less absolutely precise than the RR),and field use.

Do try them out if possible-if you are shooting targets bigger than above,any will do-the cross hairs will not obscure them-you don't want that,but you do need to see small aiming marks as big as possible.They will all do-esp as you won't be above 22x.Good scopes,if heavy (ie well built!).Anyone seriously disappointed in subjective lens quality must have 40/40 vision!! Some might like a big thick reticule,at the risk of somewhat bigger groups!

8-25 Leupolds too are good for general range use,just as a comparison.Most good scopes will be,and 20+ mag is not at all excessive for long range (much under 10x won't see much use,if quality mag is available).

Gbal

Google Nightforce reticules for technical details,if you have not already done so.

NP-R2 reticule for me, this Nightforce scope is my first "high end" scope but definately not the last, it has been awesome in my new hobby of long range shooting (1000yds), further when my new gun arrives. definately going to get another nightforce probable with the same reticule.

Decided to go for the NP-R1! Will be arriving next week, it will be my first high end scope. Decided to get the Zero Stop option. Even though I had to grit my teeth paying the extra for it!!!

Good choice. We were shooting today at Lydd, the wind was gusting 28mph. I could see splashes at 800 and correct first time. Others without markings on there reticle were struggling. Hope you enjoy it.

Archived