Elcho 33 - any chance of it?

Tiff

Is there any chance of Reloader 33 being sold in the UK as 'Elcho 33'?

Fom what I've read Rheinmetall Nitrochemie make Realoder 17 & 33 amongst others and if Reloader 17 can be re-badged and sold cheaper...

Cheers,

Tiff

Good news, re-branded Reloader 33 is coming onto the UK market soon (probably called RS80) and is available now in relatively small quantities for testing @ £57.50 per Kg. There will also be reloader 50 and in time many others becoming available.

I'll hopefully be collecting some to try at Bisley on Sunday 9th Feb, so drop me a line if your local and would like some to try etc.

Cheers,

Tiff

Just as a matter of interest I'm currently testing the RL 15 clone called EI 130 and results so far are very promising in .308, 6.5x47L and 6BR cartridges. Although it is suppose to be a clone, it is slightly more dense than RL 15. From the density difference over comparative charge volume and weight I have calculated a constant which has enabled me to compare apples with 'almost' apples. The best property is that it gives me higher MVs with no pressure signs so far.

I don't know the manufacturer (something I should have asked), but perhaps someone on here does.

El-130 is a high-energy (nitroglycerine added to the basic nitrocellulose kernels at a late stage in manufacture) Nitro-Chemie manufactured (Swiss) powder that uses the same unique infused deterrent processes as Re17/E17, but is faster burning. Like E17 it'll give very good MVs but at a cost of reduced barrel life if all the available performance is utilised.

El-130 is a high-energy (nitroglycerine added to the basic nitrocellulose kernels at a late stage in manufacture) Nitro-Chemie manufactured (Swiss) powder that uses the same unique infused deterrent processes as Re17/E17, but is faster burning. Like E17 it'll give very good MVs but at a cost of reduced barrel life if all the available performance is utilised.

Thanks for the info Laurie. Do you know the original name?

Regarding reduced barrel life; I've read in the past about burn paths within sharp shoulder angles and neck length etc. where the two lines of angles of the shoulder bisect in the neck. From this I assume that cartridges like the 6BR and 6.5x47L, unlike the .308 where the shoulder angle lines bisects outside the neck, would not suffer reduced barrel life?

Name? Yes, Nitro-Chemie El-130. Seriously! If Commonside Firearms is able to make it generally available it'll no doubt be given a catchier name just as the N-C title of whatever became Reloder 17 in the ATK Alliant lineup from 7 to 25 at the time of its introduction and Elcho 17 after the Elcho Shield in CF nomenclature due to its being widely tested and used by 'Match Rifle' competitors.

If you hunt around the Internet, you can find a list of N-C rifle propellants, but it's a one-page job that doesn't tell you much other than the broadest application and whether it's NC composition alone or has added NG. (Commonside's Nigel Cole-Hawkins has pointed out to me that it's not technically correct to call powders like E17 and El-130 'double-base'. That name is used for those that have NG as a base material in the recipe as applies to all ball powders and Alfred Nobel's Ballistite and its virtually pirated British government copy that was used to make 'Cordite'. The correct name for NC powders that have the kernels infused with NG at a late production stage is 'high-energy', which is how Vihtavuori has always described its N500 series. True double-base rifle powders are actually much less common than we non chemists have always assumed.)

The TP theory appears to have some merit, although how much difference it makes is another matter - there are always enthusiasts around for some wonder cartridge design that does everything - 10,000 fps, no recoil, no barrel wear, shoots the legs off an unsuspecting fly at 1,000 yards and so on just by changing the shoulder angle and body taper marginally. Use a powder that packs more energy into the case and run it at maximum pressure and you WILL wear a barrel out faster everything else being equal.

Archived