New Build Questions

hi peeps, iv decided to start a new build asap ! as my 223 ackley isn't likley to shoot any better after a year of trying different bullets - powders brass etc.. its accuracy is ok but i was hoping for better accuracy ! All i seem to have done is load development to try to find the best load ! the amount of actual hunting iv done with it is just not that much, i couldn't rely on it really.. ill just give a quick disscription of it..

remmy 700 trued / blueprinted walther 1/8 twist - 29" bedded in to an AICS , one piece rail , one piece 20MOA third eye tactical mount , cosine indercator and anti cant level . - all the bells and whistles as it were but its just not really that great , Not blaming anyone or mentioning any names ! it was trial and error really !

So im on a bit of a budgett as the last 1 (see above) cleaned me out only a year ago - so about the new build , im swaying to the THOR action , as its 875,

barrel wise its prob gunna have to be border barrels , to keep cost down.

i do have the stock (laminated thumbhole) from when i bought the new remmy 700 in std .223,rem , and honestly its soo comfortable ! And the THOR has the same footprint ! i would have it bedded .

trigger i have on my current 700 is a rifle bassix which is Vnice too .

moderator , i have at mo is ase utra CQB in 223 cal . - not sure i can re-use this as the choice of new caliber would be the 6BR as iv just read soo many good things about it ! all i want is an accurate rifle , i don't care how it looks really its for vermin/fox so i just want it to shoot straight !

so now iv bored you to death with all that what are your thoughts / advise please ? ATB...TIM..

pitty you not happy with your 223 ack,i have two walthers and their both realy good.what sort of groups you getting.as for your new build sounds like a plan to me i'd love a 6mm br for fox/vermin but been told it's a non starter,realy gets my goat all the differrent standards across the country

i put my order in last week with dave using a thor as i think it's his best looking action nice and simple and a good price, cant wait

pitty you not happy with your 223 ack,i have two walthers and their both realy good.what sort of groups you getting.as for your new build sounds like a plan to me i'd love a 6mm br for fox/vermin but been told it's a non starter,realy gets my goat all the differrent standards across the country

i put my order in last week with dave using a thor as i think it's his best looking action nice and simple and a good price, cant wait

hi PC , im not sure if ill get it 6BR either ! just have to try i suppose . No im not happy bunny! i took it in to try to see why it was shimming brass (in another post - problem brass maybe?) of the case mouth last week , he said its when the case is being extracted , now even i know thats not the problem, then went on to suggest i de-chamfer cases ! UMM yes i do that inside and out and then mount in a drill and wire wool to finish .we had a look in the bore scope but nothing was obvious.

i zero at 200 so on a good day i can get a five shot group in to 3/4 @ 200 but a more average group would be more like two days ago , i shot four 5shot groups . they measure centre to centre

1-00"

1-1/4"

1-3/4"

1-1/2 "

this was shooting straight into wind with three flags out , one at FP one at 100 and other at 200 !, the barrel was clean and 2 foulers were used ! i noticed yesterday also i had chambered the last round but didnt fire ! i looked carfully at the bullet , theres throat or leade marks only round 1/3 rd of thr circomfrance , so when i get home i put it straight into the lockNload thinking its been knocked out of tru ! = it was LESS than a thou run-out ! so wtf is going on i dont know . i heard the smith had built a target 223 1/6 twist for 90 VLDs and on first outing heed won the 100 300 and 600 - i think he said ! Anyway - hence the new build ! so im not sure what todo with this gun , it could be re-barreled for a .20 and prob shoot like a demon !

pc- what caliber you goin for ? what barrel and twist ? i hope its a tack driver for you ! are you having the twist bolt or std? i think its no extra for that ? and comes with 1 and 2 piece rails i think ! keep me posted bud !

If it was me, after spending £1800ish on the .223ack I would be sure as hell getting that sorted first even if it ment going to a different smith for an outside opinion! could you not get some pictures up on here of these cases etc for more knowledgable folk than me to take a look at?

The new build sounds nice. Would the Thor not drop straight into your already bedded ACIS aslong as the barrel profile was kept exactly the same as you say it has the same footprint as th remmy? And as you state you would need a new mod if moving up to 6mm.

Pork chop, how come the 6br is a non starter for fox/vermin or is that your flo speaking?

If I'm reading your post correctly you shot those groups at 200yds? The average of your groups is 1 3/8" or to put it another way a little under 3/4 moa. That's not desperately bad considering you we're shooting in the wind. Have you considered chopping the chamber off and re chambering in 223 ack again?

If I'm reading your post correctly you shot those groups at 200yds? The average of your groups is 1 3/8" or to put it another way a little under 3/4 moa. That's not desperately bad considering you we're shooting in the wind. Have you considered chopping the chamber off and re chambering in 223 ack again?

you beat me to it,not a bad shooter just a tweek away from a great stooter.if your on the lands have you tried backing off ,plus there's going to be some shooter error in there plus some wind even with flags.l wouldn't give up on it yet

If it was me, after spending £1800ish on the .223ack I would be sure as hell getting that sorted first even if it ment going to a different smith for an outside opinion! could you not get some pictures up on here of these cases etc for more knowledgable folk than me to take a look at?

The new build sounds nice. Would the Thor not drop straight into your already bedded ACIS aslong as the barrel profile was kept exactly the same as you say it has the same footprint as th remmy? And as you state you would need a new mod if moving up to 6mm.

Pork chop, how come the 6br is a non starter for fox/vermin or is that your flo speaking?

hi HH , ill try to get some pics up later ! the AI stock is good but with a NF on top third eye mount steel moddy and 29" barrel its very heavy , so prob want to change from this , the heavy build was intended as i wanted a precision gun that could shoot 75 & 80 grain VLDs out to 600 !

as you say about the 6BR in this county the 6mm are a recognized fox caliber i thought !

yes MJR i had id allready spoken to another smith about using that barrel , getting & using the thor action thru that smith and re-chambering it in 22BR. then use my new almost unused laminated TH stock , that would just leave trigger and bedding to do ! the main thing is i just want a change to a recognized accurate caliber , ideally 6BR . but unfortunatly they wouldnt use that barrel , but they would supply a new one !

First things first , i spoke to the firearms earlier , sending out a variation , im putting in for 6BR - so new barrel too ! hope i get it ! they said variations are taking about a week so fingers crossed !

PC , what sort of groups are you getting with your BR ? at say 200 400 and 600 ? btw , my std 223 rem first time shot at 500 with my reloads (no other upgrades!), TEN shots were 3-3/4" @ 500 so as a comparison to this build its as accurate if not better ! @ 200y it would hold 3/4" - i had a couple of my longest shots with that std setup= crow 365Y and fox 416Y . im kinda set now on moving on ! thanks for input guys ! xx

i loaded some 69 gr smk the other week and had three shots make one hole at 200 .shot 500 ftr at diggle and i think i held my own pritty well for my second go.if you do get the 6mm Br great if not 22 Br is a great round and worth considering

happy hunter,yes spoke to flo and firearms manager.all i get is homeoffice guidelines say this that and the other.

I was with Staffordshire and my BR has fox/deer and any lawful quarry, now I've moved few mile down road just in to Derbyshire and they granted me the same no questions asked :)

Same with 223 ackley :)

Gaz

You're not going to go wrong if Dave's doing it, first class work and a gent to boot.

who built your 6BR bunny ? and what barrel and twist is it please ?

I was with Staffordshire and my BR has fox/deer and any lawful quarry, now I've moved few mile down road just in to Derbyshire and they granted me the same no questions asked :)

Same with 223 ackley :)

Gaz

the bit what seems to make the difference is deer then any lawful quarry will be granted,i've no deer on any of my farms so i'm a bit stumped for now

Archived