First 308.. what to do?

alijnclarke

So i've just been granted a variation for a 308, for Stalking & target.. This will be my first 308, and really i'd like some recommendations of what to get.

I'd like to use the rifle for stalking, but I am very keen to get into target shooting (I think at diggle) and would love to have a go at 'long range' shooting. I would image the rifle will be used for target more than it will be stalking, so it would make sense to buy it for that purpose.

I've got an NXS 5.5-22x56 Zero Stop, with the MOAR reticle that i think would be okay for it (currently sitting on a 223)?

From what I can see my options are a remmy 700 and go a similar way to my 223, customise it to how i like it.. Or..., I was thinking of the possibility of paying the money and getting a rifle built, would anyone offer an opinion on that?

What sort of twist / barrel length would i be best with? I don't mind a heavy or long rifle, but i would like to do it right the first time around!

I love the AI rifles, but can't quite push to 4k...

Personally, I'd start off with something cheap but useable - like a heavy-barrelled Remmy 700 - PSS or similar. You should pick one up for around £600. Come and shoot it - at Diggle - have a look at all the different stuff we shoot, then, after a year or so, you'll know exactly what you need. Sell the Remmy for what you paid for it and have your dream gun built.

Personally, I'd start off with something cheap but useable - like a heavy-barrelled Remmy 700 - PSS or similar. You should pick one up for around £600. Come and shoot it - at Diggle - have a look at all the different stuff we shoot, then, after a year or so, you'll know exactly what you need. Sell the Remmy for what you paid for it and have your dream gun built.

That's exactly what I was thinking, would the PSS be the model i'm looking for then? I got the SPS Varmint in 223 and regret not getting a model with a 1/8 twist.

I do love the idea of a fully custom rifle, but maybe you are right. Starting with something cheap does sound like a safer bet.

Whats diggle like? I've been meaning to take a trip down and start the joining procedure, but haven't had time yet

I'm also looking at new 308, have you seen the new Browning with GRS stock and heavy barrel?

Looks promising.

Hadn't seen that before!

It looks nice, but i'm more of a remmy guy I think. Just don't know if i hold push the boat out for a custom or get in line for one of the new AI rifles

A Rem 700 is a great starting place and unlike the Browning A-bolt have lots and lots of after market parts and accessories (stocks, triggers, DBM's, scope rails etc.). I have a 20" SPS Tactical .308 in the collection and there is no way I'd part with it, a really excellent rifle.

A Rem 700 is a great starting place and unlike the Browning A-bolt have lots and lots of after market parts and accessories (stocks, triggers, DBM's, scope rails etc.). I have a 20" SPS Tactical .308 in the collection and there is no way I'd part with it, a really excellent rifle.

That's what I'm thinking!

I've got the SPS Varmint in 223 at the moment (regretting not getting the tactical...) and love it, just need the barrel sorting out for the heavier weights. I do think, and from what everyone's said, the remmy would be the best bet before moving to a custom. There's one in the for sale section that looks pretty much perfect

What distance are you going to be shooting? If it's 1000yrds you'll need a long barrel, 30" if pos but that makes it to long to hunt with! A 26" Remmy will just do both.

What's Diggle like? I've been meaning to take a trip down and start the joining procedure, but haven't had time yet

Shooter heaven! We shoot all disciplines at all ranges - out to 1000 yds. Turn up one weekend for a chat about joining. Or see me at Stoneleigh on the target Shooter stand.

Just going to chuck the tikka t3 into the equation. The super varmint and tactical would suit your needs as well

I've read about those and they do look good, never seen one yet though & I believe remingtons still have more options?

What distance are you going to be shooting? If it's 1000yrds you'll need a long barrel, 30" if pos but that makes it to long to hunt with! A 26" Remmy will just do both.

Hopefully upto 1000, as you say a 30" would be a little hard to manage.. so a 26" is what i would want (i think!). Is there any particular twist rate that would help with the 1000yrd aim?

Shooter heaven! We shoot all disciplines at all ranges - out to 1000 yds. Turn up one weekend for a chat about joining. Or see me at Stoneleigh on the target Shooter stand.

It sounds great, and isn't too far from me. Guessing your a regular there then?? I may well pop down to the shooting show, it'd be good to have a chat.. and i'm guessing there will be lots of nice rifles to look at!

buy the one bradders is advertising !

That's the exact one i've got my eye on!

Just wanting to make sure that it is indeed okay for what i want it for. The best thing about that one is all the work has been done already, so i don't need to mess about with it

That's the exact one i've got my eye on!

Just wanting to make sure that it is indeed okay for what i want it for. The best thing about that one is all the work has been done already, so i don't need to mess about with it

I'd consider that one too - a new PSS is over £1K these days and a T3 Varmint is not far off... Seems to be a lot of rifle for the money.

it is a lot of rifle for the money , and a base for tuning to your hearts content ! there is nothing to touch a 700 for after market parts except maybe the 10-22 ?

It sounds great, and isn't too far from me. Guessing your a regular there then?? I may well pop down to the shooting show, it'd be good to have a chat.. and i'm guessing there will be lots of nice rifles to look at!

I'm Diggle membership sec. Yes - the Show should be good - usually plenty of nice custom stuff to look at.

Don't worry about rifling twist rate - factory 308s pose fewer problems than their 223 cal equivalents. The standard SAAMI specified rate for the cartridge is 1 in 12-inches which will stabilise any bullet you'll be likely to want to try at this stage, and that's what's used in the Remy 700P tube. 1-12 is optimum for bullets like the 185gn Berger Juggernaut and all Sierra MatchKings up to and including the 200gn model, only the much longer 210gn and heavier designs needing faster twists.

223 Rem is in the situation it is because the cartridge was originally developed for short 55gn bullets and it was only after several years of production that heavier (more importantly for this subject, substantially longer), bullets started to see widespread use that needed faster rifling twists.

I'm Diggle membership sec. Yes - the Show should be good - usually plenty of nice custom stuff to look at.

Oh, well it sounds like you are certainly the person i need to speak to re diggle then!

Don't worry about rifling twist rate - factory 308s pose fewer problems than their 223 cal equivalents. The standard SAAMI specified rate for the cartridge is 1 in 12-inches which will stabilise any bullet you'll be likely to want to try at this stage, and that's what's used in the Remy 700P tube. 1-12 is optimum for bullets like the 185gn Berger Juggernaut and all Sierra MatchKings up to and including the 200gn model, only the much longer 210gn and heavier designs needing faster twists.

223 Rem is in the situation it is because the cartridge was originally developed for short 55gn bullets and it was only after several years of production that heavier (more importantly for this subject, substantially longer), bullets started to see widespread use that needed faster rifling twists.

Thanks for this, yeah having a 223 I was worried that I would make the wrong choice with the 308's twist.. But that has really helped.

Also thanks to everyone that's pm'd me, you've all been a great help and i hope to meet some of you at Diggle!

• 2 months later...

Update:

Well I decided that i'd follow a dream and go all out.. I've recently taken delivery of an AI AT, i'm sure it will shoot far better than I ever will. But i've always wanted and loved the accuracy rifles, and now i'm the very very proud owner of one.

Thank you very much for all the help, just proves what a great resource this forum is :D

Archived