Carbon Build-up on barrel crown

Brillo

As per the title, when I was cleaning the bore of my Sako TRG-22 I noticed a significant build-up of carbon on the crown. I've not seen this before as I nearly always wipe it clean before storing the rifle. What is the best way of removing it without damage to the crown?

Many thanks

I get the very worst of it off the muzzle with a small block of aluminium (it's actually the recoil lug for a T3 from a GRS stock). It has a nice 90 degree edge that chips the big chunks off. Being as it's aluminium and I'm going across the face of the crown (which is recessed anyway) there can be no damage. Typically I never see carbon build up on the crown itself - just the face of the muzzle. I then use a Hoppes #9 quick clean rust and lead remover cloth to get rid of the rest. This cloth is very good and is typically used to get carbon build up of handguns such as stainless revolvers.

Without wishing to hijack, is this a problem?? 2 of my rifles get a carbon build up virtualy instantly and I dont always clean it off

Never noticed any affects on accuracy myself, I only clean off after several hundred rounds when I actually bother to run a patch through the bore! I do keep the threads on the barrel and sound mods clean and degreased though to ensure good alignment and metal to metal fit.

Archived