New Barrel Query - Different Calibre

Brillo

A worrying thought has just occurred to me. I have a 6.5x47L barrel for my AI AW which is on my FAC as a .308 rifle. I was working on the understanding that I can just switch barrels. Is this correct?

Also, I have a .308 and spare 308 barrel slot on my FAC. I have done this because I am either going for a longer barrel on my Sako TRG or AW or a fully fledged F/TR build. That was the original plan, but if I get a 308 barrel to fit my 6.5x47L how will I stand regarding the FAC entry of that rifle?

I've got barrel slots on my ticket for the calibres mentioned but not specifically linked to the serial numbers for any particular rifle. That is my query.

Lets give another example: I have a 6.5x47L rifle and a .308 rifle. Assuming they match the actions as they will on an AI AW. Can I just switch barrels if the rifle and its S/No are down as a 6.5x47???

Sorry. Meant to say..............................................

I have a 6.5x47L rifle and a spare.308 barrel. Assuming they match the actions as they will on an AI AW. Can I just switch barrels if the rifle and its S/No are down as a 6.5x47???

You should have a space on your ticket for your "AW serial no. (whatever) 6.5x47L", and if you want to shoot your AW as a .308, you will have a slot on your ticket reading " AW Serial no. (whatever) .308"

The reason you need to have the slot as a rifle (in 308) with matching serial number as your 6.5x47L is when you change from one to another, you would have a 308 rifle and only a barrel in 6.5x47L, or visa versa.

In simple terms, a chambered barrel should have a relating serial number against it.

I purchased sometime ago a 6.5 rifle and I use the BAT action to change that rifle into a 6BR and also a 284 Shehane. The reason I can do that is because I ensure that my FAC had the relevant calibre 'spare barrel' ie 7mm spare barrel, 6mmBR spare barrel on it. So I do not have a slot for a 6BR rifle, or a 7mm rifle. So I can legally use my original 6.5 rifle as a switch barrel rifle if that makes sense.

So if you have whatever calibre spare barrels on your ticket, you can just take the original barrel off and put on a different barrel and not worry about having to have a 'matching serial number' barrel. My spare barrels in 6BR chambering, 6.5x55 Ack Imp and 284 Shehane, do not have serial numbers on them and do not need to.

PS. My FAC states that for the spare barrels I have bought it states NONE against the Identification number, so no serial number is required for spare barrels.

Les Senior

You should have a space on your ticket for your "AW serial no. (whatever) 6.5x47L", and if you want to shoot your AW as a .308, you will have a slot on your ticket reading " AW Serial no. (whatever) .308"

The reason you need to have the slot as a rifle (in 308) with matching serial number as your 6.5x47L is when you change from one to another, you would have a 308 rifle and only a barrel in 6.5x47L, or visa versa.

In simple terms, a chambered barrel should have a relating serial number against it.

i have 3"spare barrels"on my ticket and non of them have a number relating to any of my rifles/actions.i dont know anyone who has a chambered barrel with a number relating to it.

see post above by mr les senior

Hi Mark

7 spare barrels on my ticket,for various actions, but there is no mention on my ticket as to which barrel goes with which action.......

And to confuse things some barrels could be used on multiple actions on my ticket too.

Cheers

Bruce

sorry guys if my post appeared to misleed my thoughts on serial numbers on barrels.

I was merely suggesting that the barrel chambering has a relevant action (with serial number) to which it should be used with ie. action specific (usually)

sorry guys if my post appeared to misleed my thoughts on serial numbers on barrels.

I was merely suggesting that the barrel chambering has a relevant action (with serial number) to which it should be used with ie. action specific (usually)

No The slot on my ticket is just for spare barrels, no s/no, and they are not action specific as the action is down in its own right, now that has got a s/no,,, All barrels are stated as NO VISABLE NUMBER or nvn

Brillo you will be ok ;)

Darrel

Many thanks guys for clearing that up. I was concerned that when I bought the 6.5 barrel for the AW, but had it on my FAC as 'spare 6.5x47 barrel No Visible Number' I hadn't specified that what it was for and that I'd be breaking the law when I fitted it to the AW.

Many thanks guys for clearing that up. I was concerned that when I bought the 6.5 barrel for the AW, but had it on my FAC as 'spare 6.5x47 barrel No Visible Number' I hadn't specified that what it was for and that I'd be breaking the law when I fitted it to the AW.

Fit the 6.5 barrel onto your AW, go shooting to your hearts content. Don't worry, your covered.

Archived