A New One on Me!!

Had a Boxing Day walk out today for a pheasant or 2. There were several of us so a few walking and a couple standing was the form.

First drive was a flush off a small pond. I thought it would be empty as it seemed frozen but there was forever of mallard and teal on there, probably in excess of 200. A few were dropped so off to a good start.

Any how the next drive was a push through a long thin wood.so I was walking with my 2 spaniels. (both 10 yrs old I might add). As we approached the end of the wood a bird lifted and curled back over me, I hit it second barrel and Tilly went for it. She disappeared into a ditch and I waited but no sign. We were only 40m or so from the end of the wood so we finished the drive as I assumed she was tracking a runner. Still no sign tho and I got concerned. I walked back down the wood, by now convinced she must be stuck on a fence. I heard a dog wailing in the distance but it sounded very far away. No sign anywhere and I started walking back up the wood. A mate called me as he had heard the howling and walked into the wood, he was convinced the dog was underground. The pics tell the rest of the story;

1504043_787956471220575_1812926557_n.jpg

1532058_787986761217546_847917137_n.jpg

1476010_787957584553797_1150188449_n.jpg

She had gone down a disused fox hole, presumably after the bird!! We never did get the pheasant

Very odd. Glad you got her back though. Nice one!

I've just pinged the user name!

Was it her that located the 2nd largest CWD ever scored in the UK? :)

Glad to see that it worked out for you - horrible feeling.

Rgds

Ian

I've just pinged the user name!

Was it her that located the 2nd largest CWD ever scored in the UK? :)

Glad to see that it worked out for you - horrible feeling.

Rgds

Ian

Hi IAn

no it wasnt. that was Amber. Unfortunately she passed in Feb but she was 14. Tilly, the minor (pun intended!) is only 11!!!

I've seen this quite a bit on a Breckland shoot I worked on , pheasants used to go down rabbit holes all the time to get away from the picker uppers , I've never had to dig one out though glad it ended well.

My wife used to pick up on a famous Norfolk shoot ,On one day while picking up with the pack of labs and one Total bonkers Cocker spaniel a gun came over after a drive and asked if her spaniel was ok .

Turns out the dog was on a hot runner and took a flying lesson from a disused railway bridge , luck would have it the was a stream under it ,splash went Daft dog and then carried on as thoe nothing had happened

Archived