at what range do you like to shot foxs at

bigun

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'm to fussy so I am going to asking you guys out there, I have looked as this pic and enlarged it to look at it in more detail. Me personally I wouldn't have taken a shot for fear of a ricochet and the woodland behind is not very much further above or behind the X where the fox was, so am I over cautious or would I be making a fair call?

By the way good shot.

Maybe I'm to fussy so I am going to asking you guys out there, I have looked as this pic and enlarged it to look at it in more detail. Me personally I wouldn't have taken a shot for fear of a ricochet and the woodland behind is not very much further above or behind the X where the fox was, so am I over cautious or would I be making a fair call?

By the way good shot.

Hi C H, you did'nt have to make the call and i did. I did have to wait until the folks walking the dog had gone past on the footpath though. (only joking)

The shot was taken after considering all the possibilities. In fact the shooting position was chosen with the angles and backstop in mind. The ground i shoot over is not new ground, i have stalked it, decoyed it and lamped it on countless occasions, i know it intamately and would not contemplate taking a risky shot.

Paul

Charly hunter, my first impression looking at the photo was the same as yours, inadequate looking backstop.

Maybe in the flesh the lie of the land is better and the photo is deceiving :mellow:

Hi C H, you did'nt have to make the call and i did. I did have to wait until the folks walking the dog had gone past on the footpath though. (only joking)

The shot was taken after considering all the possibilities. In fact the shooting position was chosen with the angles and backstop in mind. The ground i shoot over is not new ground, i have stalked it, decoyed it and lamped it on countless occasions, i know it intamately and would not contemplate taking a risky shot.

Paul

I would have only needed to wait for the dog to pass if it were a nice gundog other wise!!!!!!!! :mellow:

Guest shooter2

who is this "remington65" anyway. he sounds like a guy who has read a few books about shooting and now he thinks he knows everything.

who is this "remington65" anyway. he sounds like a guy who has read a few books about shooting and now he thinks he knows everything.

first post :D

you should fit in here.

how about hi ?????

ATB

Colin :lol:

Bigun.

What sort of can is it on the end of that big Remmy? Thanks.

Ian

its remmy65 rifle not mine best ,let him tell you what it is ..thats not a wood its a forrest so theres more than a good back stop ..any way we aint got to anwser to no body but are selfs ..thats right aint it paul :D

its remmy65 rifle not mine best ,let him tell you what it is ..thats not a wood its a forrest so theres more than a good back stop ..any way we aint got to anwser to no body but are selfs ..thats right aint it paul :D

now i don't like to get involved in this type of stuff. but first of, I'm not bothered if it is The largest forest in Scotland and Great Britain (Galloway Forest at some 300 sq miles :lol: ) it is not a safe to use this as a back stop.

and wile you are correct that you only have to answer to your selfs and the police (should the unthinkable happen)

we have a responsibility to our readers to only print good info and good codes of practice.

and i don't think this statement falls in to any of them category's.

I'm not picking a fight here,just don't think this is right.

ATB

Colin :lol:

i for one really dont care what any body thinks or says about the shot being taken and about the back stop ect ,,why,you may ask ................becouse i was `ent shooting :D now please get a life and leave the man alone, he knows more about proper shooting than most on here and im not talking paper punching ..has he ever hit any thing but what he was aiming at ....no ...has he ever hit or killed any body ....no ..he comes on here to read and have a little chat to some nice people ..i did say some did`nt i :lol: and what do you do but jump down his neck the first chance you get ..now come on girls lets have less of it :lol:

i for one really dont care what any body thinks or says about the shot being taken and about the back stop ect ,,why,you may ask ................becouse i was `ent shooting :D

that may be the case -,it matter not that you did not take the shot.its the info a new shooter picks up from of this type of forum that matters,and a wood/forest is not a good backstop.

now please get a life and leave the man alone,

this is all so not the case, i and others mean no offense,but you have to remember that anyone can join and read this type of forum.

he knows more about proper shooting than most on here and im not talking paper punching

then he will agree that woods and trees and forests are not a good backstop,and should never be used as one.

..has he ever hit any thing but what he was aiming at ....no ...has he ever hit or killed any body ....no ..

well that makes it all right then.

he comes on here to read and have a little chat to some nice people ..i did say some did`nt i :lol: and what do you do but jump down his neck the first chance you get ..now come on girls lets have less of it :lol:

no one is having a go at anyone -,we have a responsibility to give out the right info on these forums,

Guest shooter2
:D look, bigun, was just saying that what ever he puts down everyone is questioning and i think he has been shooting long enough to know what is a good back stop and what isn't. :lol:

Bigun I am not definatley not getting on anyones case here but just want to say, you reckon youre mate remingotn 65 has more experience than most on this site about proper shooting and not just paper punching (for a start good paper punching is the foundation for good shooting in the field so dont dismiss shooting paper like its not a skill) now I am not debating this he may well and I am certain he knows more than I but there are a lot of other guys on here than live eat and breathe shooting and know there that which promotes growth and vigour about this game so dont make accusaions like that, youve only been on this site for just over a month so you can hardly comment on who knows there stuff, like I say not trying to get on anyones case and I am sure the guy knows his stuff and wouldnt have took the shot if he didnt think it was safe but there are alot of other guys here capable of making s hot like that, they just dont have anyone like you to champion them and are too modest to brag.

name='craigyboy'

Bigun I am not definatley not getting on anyones case here but just want to say, you reckon youre mate remingotn 65 has more experience than most on this site about proper shooting and not just paper punching (for a start good paper punching is the foundation for good shooting in the field so dont dismiss shooting paper like its not a skill) now I am not debating this he may well and I am certain he knows more than I but there are a lot of other guys on here than live eat and breathe shooting and know there that which promotes growth and vigour about this game so dont make accusaions like that, youve only been on this site for just over a month so you can hardly comment on who knows there stuff, like I say not trying to get on anyones case and I am sure the guy knows his stuff and wouldnt have took the shot if he didnt think it was safe but there are alot of other guys here capable of making s hot like that, they just dont have anyone like you to champion them and are too modest to brag.

so what your now saying is this if the guys been on here longer than me he knows better ;) the fact about the internet is this you just dont know who your talking to and cant tell if he is big tall daft well maybe the daft ;) one day there asking things the next they are telling you the same thing they asked about one week ago ..face to face is the only real way of telling who who and theres them that talk about it and theres them that do it and yet again theres the ones that have done it but no more ,theses are what i call arm chair hunters and theres plenty of them about i tell thee ..this was shot about 1 1/2 hrs ago so im one of them that do it and at 48 yrs old i think im doing well ..35yrs hunting behind me and yes i can bring home the goods if i want..paper target shooting we all start there but many move on to bigger things ..

they just dont have anyone like you to champion them and are too modest to brag.

whos bragging im not nor was my mate i put the pic up ,he has shot suff out to 1200yrds in africa but he aint bragging is he i tell thee what, if any body see`s any of my posts and they dont like to see any type of bragging dont look ..can not say fairier than that ....sorted , ;) end of

fox21308002Large.jpg

for got to add the fox was shot in high wind at 3oclk .146yrds out gave it 4" in to the wind ..am i the man or what ..now thats bragging ;)

bigun no need to go on the defensive. I dont know what you mean by this "so what your now saying is this if the guys been on here longer than me he knows better ".I think you missed my point, what I was saying is that you reckon your mate knows more than most of the guys on this site, how can you say that? you have only been on this site a month you cant possibly have accesed everyones shooting ability from that time and from sitting at the computer as you said youreself you need to meet face to face, so why come off with such a bullshit comment. I never said your mate was braggin or you were bragging for him, I said there are plenty of guys on the site that are capable and do make some nice long range shots that dont brag about them, not implied to you or your mate, I think this subject has lost track abit now you have misread my post and we are off track.

Good for you that you are out hunting all the time etc, so am I. You dont need to prove yourself to me by putting up a pic of a dead fox.

ps ........sorted end of. I dont come onto forums to argue but some things just get to me abit, got to go to bed, early morning greycrow duties, still looks about 30mph wind out there gonna be a bitch for the long range ones.

after 1,705 people looking at this post kip270 has just added the best reply .. ;)

In todays climate, walkers have the right to roam so where years ago you knew you wouldn't see anyone on your permission's from one year to the next, now they can pop up at anytime and anywhere, and with the GREAT OUTDOORS being the place to escape the mundane week at work we all have to be mindfull about backstops/SAFETY.

A forest in the UK can NEVER be deamed a GOOD BACKSTOP, no matter how LARGE THE FOREST or how many years shooting you have behind you, nor if you have never shot anyone etc,etc.

If you think along those lines then it will happen.

SAFETY IS THE NUMBER ONE, and if you stick to these rules it will never happen.

Once you squeeze the trigger that BULLET will never come back and you will have to live with the consequence, but if you eliminate all possibilty by having a SOLID BACKSTOP, you will have many years happy shooting.

To be honest after looking at the picture I for one would be uncertain of a ricochet looking at the angle of the shot (from FP to POI) especially on a fox or other thin skinned beastie.

It looks a bit level to me to stop the bullet effectively before the block.

My view on using forestry as a "backstop" is it isnt....period.

No matter how well one thinks we know our land, there will come the time when a stray crag rat (walker) will come into an area unexpectedly.

The bullet may have passed 50 meters or further into the trees before stopping - and again looking at the picture one cannot say what is immediately within the forest edge.

Now no-one is "having a go at either of you" for having a goes sake, there have been several concerned posts about the practise you use - I have reservations myself on the safety of it.

Better to revise your thinking than run the risk of losing your licence and liberty at the expense of a risky shot.

Just my 2pennath ;)

now dont get all high and mighty on this pic its only spot the ball ;)

dthketkmethy010LargeLarge.jpg

Bigun

I`ve not got a problem with Remmys photo and its down to him to make the call and its his head if things go wrong.Now I and to be fair a lot of lads on here wouldn`t be happy taking that shot but perhaps the photo doesn`t give the real lie of the land.Who knows

The concern is that you (not Remmy) came up with the statement that a wood (sorry forest)is a safe backstop which just isn`t the case.Excuses of keepered estate and glassing before aren`t really convincing.Can you have se a figure 10 feet back in the wood.Any haven`t you ever found walkers(evev horseriders) where they shouldn`t have been?We have and theres three full time keepers on the estate and regularly find the above ;)

When you choose to publish such information on the net you lay it open for scrutiny and because a few on here have pointed out the safety aspect you seem to think they`re having a pop at you.They aren`t.?They`re just pointing out that safety should be paramount in this game.

Archived