Choice of Powder for .284 Win

Brillo

I have been using Elcho 17 / RL 17 as my powder of choice for my .284 win with Hornady 162 A-Max, 175 SMKs and Berger 180 Hybrids. I'm getting the speeds I want but still working on accuracy, having found the best powder weights, by tinkering with COAL etc.

I gather that the preferred powder for this cartridge (as with the 6.5x284) is H4831SC but finding it is like getting hold of gold plated rocking horse droppings.

I must admit to liking Elcho 17 and I have not had any temperature sensitivity issues as mentioned on other posts. The MV's I get this month are the same as in early Sept when it was much hotter.

Having said all this which powder would be a good one to use instead of Elcho? Nothing plugged into QuickLoad seems to match it but it is only a database. What would you experienced F-Class guys use for the bullets I've mentioned?

Many thanks

H4350, N165 and N160 but only if I couldn't find any H4831SC

I have used N165 and although it was ok accuracy wise it was slow. I have often thought about trying RL22 but have never got around to actually trying it. The Americans use H4350 or H4831SC.

N560 will give very good MV's similar to R17 and much higher than H4831 and has always given great accuracy for me. I think it is the perfect powder for a long barrelled rifle in a case of this size chucking heavy bullets. The one downside is it is harder on barrels than H4831 but I am prepared to accept that.

all the best

Rich

I did use n560 but its to temperature sensitivity, stick with v160 (56.0g but start 10% lower and work up please ) the 175g ,180g sierra bullets are all good.

hope to see you at a f.class shot some day :)

uk deer stalker

well a nice safe load with good es,was no good at Bisley in the summer 100fps faster, oehler 35 and that's with.5g down loaded,

we tested three rifles, two 284 and a 6.5 x284 on hot and cold days,

good luck with your testing

Archived