Ammunition Warning - Remington Premier .17 HMR - Split Case.

badsworth

I had a bit of a surprise tonight when out rabbiting with my HMR. If it hadn't have been dusk I probably would not have even noticed. I fired at a bunny about 80 yards away in the twilight. I missed (not that unusual for me, but unusual when I am using the Savage .17 HMR). I noticed what appeared to be a 'spark' disappear over my right shoulder - actually probably a piece of burning powder or primer. I ejected the cartridge case carefully and examined it with my lamp. It had a small split in the rim of the case, and black powder marks on the case coming from the split.

The round was a 'Remington Premier' .17 HMR. I take care not to reload the same round too many times if I dont fire them. I bought it about 8 months ago I think, and the rounds have been stored carefully since.

Apart from missing my bunny - which I have learned to live with from time to time (I wouldn't be so happy if I had missed Charlie) - I am not sure that I was in any danger from such a relatively low powered round. However, if anyone else had been at my side (as my son sometimes is) they could have been at risk. And I am really glad it did not happen to a round in the .25-06 I have on order.

Has anyone else had a similar experience - especially with this particular round? I have never had a problem before and rate the Remington rounds highly.

The case is too small to photograph but I may have a go when it gets light.

Be careful out there!

-B

PS - Ten other bunnies were not so lucky!

i think everyone who shoots a 17HMR has had this at one time or another, however everyone said that it does not affect the accuracy made me think, but im glad that your savage did the same, i also use a savage .17 and every time its happened to me i've missed what i was aiming at, iv never noticed a spark but it is abit on an annoyance. It still is a cracking little round, im just going to live with the occasional split neck, as it is my main cubbing gun in the summer months!

The reason you see that kind of split in all 17HMR is, again, that all 17HMR is made at the same plant. This problem has been cropping up in all denominations of HMR. Frankly, hanging your hat on one brand is a real crap-shoot. As I've posted before, buy what is on sale because it's all the same; Lot to Lot variations aside.

As to the 5mm. The 5mm operates at 31K and the brass it engineered for those pressures. It becomes progressively thicker from the neck to the rim and goes through 7 heat treating processes during the forming. It's really a proprietary process devised especially for manufacturing this cartridge. The brass it tough and ductile. As part of the 5mm prototype testing I deliberately fired some 5mm in a Remington 591M with the wide, primary extractor ground undersized. In 100 rounds the brass swelled to fill the gap making it impossible to extract without the aid of a cleaning rod yet there was never a case failure. In short, it it highly unlikely that an M-style split will occur with the 5mm fired in a decent chamber. ~Andrew

Archived