300 Win Mag - My next purchase?

TACDAVE

Hello All

I have had great success over the last 3 years working my way up through various calibres and distances to a point where I have a consistent home .308 load / rifle which will deliver up to 1100 meters, but understand this is about its max limit.

I would like to push the envelope further than 1100 meters next year.

Currently I have a 300 Win Mag slot on my FAC and generally have seen and read good feedback on this calibre?

There are some questions I would like some help with, so would like to put it out to you guys,

1. Really like the look of the Remington 700 Police (PSS). What do we all think of this rifle?
  2. What barrel twist rate should I be looking for in 300 Win Mag for the heavier bullet?
  3. Read in an article the USMC is shooting 220grn SMK’s currently to 1500 yards in 300 Win Mag . Is accurate shooting to 1500 yards realistic in this calibre?
  4. What would the barrel life expectancy be on a 300 Win Mag?

Any information would be greatly received as I have not made a purchase yet and entering unkown territory

Many Thanks

Dave

The PSS is a good rifle Dave.

A minimum of a 1 in 10 twist.

1500 yards is stretching it somewhat. I would be looking at the 338 at that range.

Target accuracy ? 1500 rounds. However i know of one I rebarrelled with a Lilja that has had around 3000 through it and is still shooting.

Thanks for the info..

Realistically what would be a sensible distance to shoot this calibre to Target accuracy?

We`ve had a few days up in the hills in wales (WMS) and the rain was horzontal, wind was incredible...

Thanks Dave

Going to try the remy 700 police first see where that gets me, maybe try and get a decent secondhand one?

Just to go off topic slightly,

Just had a look at your web site....... very impressive.

Not had the oppertunity yet to look at custom rifles, only been shooting long range for just under 2 years but have seriously got the bug

Point noted about .338 for 1500+ the aim is to move up to this over the next 18 months if we progress at the rate we are.

The rifle you have a photo of on the custom rifle build page badged "Tactical and extreme long range" looks awsome- huge mag on it .338?

Guess you could write a book on the subject, better to come and see you I think nearer the time me thinks!

Thanks for help Dave its appricated.

TACDAVE given what you've said above, I'll throw .300 Lap Mag /.30-338 Lap Mag into the mix. If mainly shooting at WMS and fields firing areas etc, then spotting the splash is required - especially at extended ranges. Therefore even if the 6.5's & 7mm's B.C's & velocity are very good, I've found they can be at a significant disadvantage with the lighter bullets.

The .300 LM has the case capacity to push the 230gr - 240gr Berger & SMK's and with their G1 B.C.'s of well over 0.7, you can really reach out to 1,500 and beyond. Plus it falls just under the 7,000J HME limit, so acceptable at Bisley etc. Accurate barrel life is surprisingly good (1,200-1,800), especially if loads are kept modest - 240's at 2,750 fps, so still going some....

The added advantage being if you are planning to change to a .338 LM later, then all you need is a new barrel (+wrench & vice) and you can swap over in a couple of minutes. Saving in costs considerably in the long run, with only one scope/rifle required.

Thanks TIFF

Could you buy this as a stock rifle? i.e. off the shelf like a remington?

Good to to keep all options open

cheers

Dave

I don't think you can get factory rifles in 300 lap but you can get 300rum which is the same performance ?

Hello All

I have had great success over the last 3 years working my way up through various calibres and distances to a point where I have a consistent home .308 load / rifle which will deliver up to 1100 meters, but understand this is about its max limit.

I would like to push the envelope further than 1100 meters next year.

Currently I have a 300 Win Mag slot on my FAC and generally have seen and read good feedback on this calibre?

There are some questions I would like some help with, so would like to put it out to you guys,

1. Really like the look of the Remington 700 Police (PSS). What do we all think of this rifle?
  2. What barrel twist rate should I be looking for in 300 Win Mag for the heavier bullet?
  3. Read in an article the USMC is shooting 220grn SMK’s currently to 1500 yards in 300 Win Mag . Is accurate shooting to 1500 yards realistic in this calibre?
  4. What would the barrel life expectancy be on a 300 Win Mag?

Any information would be greatly received as I have not made a purchase yet and entering unkown territory

Many Thanks

Dave

The 300 Win mag was made for knocking down large animals at short ranges. It's never been a 'target' cartridge - I doubt you'll see many F Class Open guns chambered for it. In a 10lb rifle like a PSS it's just too much 'bang'.

My first 1000yd gun (20years ago) was a 300 Norma Magnum (very similar to the 300WM) in an HS Precision stock using a long Remmy action. Best group at 1000 yds was 9 inches - not 'target accuracy' by today's standards and unpleasant to shoot.

But, I'm interested in your 308 load which consistently delivers out to 1100m - 1200 yards. A few of the FTR guys will be as well.

Thanks TIFF

Could you buy this as a stock rifle? i.e. off the shelf like a remington?

Good to to keep all options open

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

As tackb suggests, nothing is really available 'off the shelf' in 300LM. The cartridge/bolt face is also larger than 'standard magnums' and the pressure is a LOT more - while you can get a remy 700 in .338LM, I would never want to shoot one!

I owned a Remington .300 RUM and while it was great fun, the brass (only Remington was available at the time) was a lot of work to get right & batch. I believe now Nosler are producing it, it is a lot better, but their brass can still be quite 'soft' at higher pressures. Hence the change to 30-338LM with Lapua 338 brass.

There is a good article here on the cartridge:

http://www.6mmbr.com/thirty338.html

Personally I think you will be marginally disappointed with .300 Win Mag, if stretching the distance is the main goal. While a 'magnum', it is not really intended (or that suitable) for long to ELR shooting, yes it will work ok, but there are better choices. At the very least a PSS in 300WM is going to be a handful to shoot all day with top end heavy loads and a great way to develop a bad flinch!

The 300 Win mag was made for knocking down large animals at short ranges. It's never been a 'target' cartridge - I doubt you'll see many F Class Open guns chambered for it. In a 10lb rifle like a PSS it's just too much 'bang'.

My first 1000yd gun (20years ago) was a 300 Norma Magnum (very similar to the 300WM) in an HS Precision stock using a long Remmy action. Best group at 1000 yds was 9 inches - not 'target accuracy' by today's standards and unpleasant to shoot.

But, I'm interested in your 308 load which consistently delivers out to 1100m - 1200 yards. A few of the FTR guys will be as well.

Vince,not that it matters much,but the 300 win mag has been used a bit as a1000y target cartridge-not just the odd Diggle shoot-hands up all the factory rifle shooters beaten by GaryG-did it not have a brief try out in the US for long range competition ?

While it is used eg in Europe as a boar gun,it was more conceived as a 30-06 plus 20% game rifle-popular on both big beasties like moose and elk at normal ranges,but also sheep at coniderably longer ranges,and is a very fine medium to long range african plains rifle for ungulates.

But as you say,like many of the moderate magnums,despite its rather good accuracy,it just recoils too much for comfort,and does not add quite enough ,and soon fell out of favour as a long range target number in US-though it isn't a poor choice for the UK,where 1000y ranges are not too numerous, loading data exists, and costs are well short of 338 levels.

Gbal (hand up)

Lots to think about Guys... but thanks

Whatever I go for the choice of brass, bullet heads is obviously very important. Dont want to purchase something I`ll struggle getting bits for. GULP!

Whatever I go for the choice of brass, bullet heads is obviously very important. Dont want to purchase something I`ll struggle getting bits for. GULP!

I think in your position i'd get a big 30 , 300wm and up basically then once I was comfortable with that i'd move on up to 338 etc

if you have a 1200 round barrel life and you load each case 4 times you only need 300 cases to last the barrel and remember with the big un's you tend not to rapid fire a lot !

I'd still like to know your 308 1200 yard loads.................

175grn HPBT SMK - 44.5 grns Varget - lap brass- remington primers crono`ed 2790 fps through my R700 XCR long range tactical.

I think in your position i'd get a big 30 , 300wm and up basically then once I was comfortable with that i'd move on up to 338 etc

if you have a 1200 round barrel life and you load each case 4 times you only need 300 cases to last the barrel and remember with the big un's you tend not to rapid fire a lot !

Thats good advice mate cheers

175grn HPBT SMK - 44.5 grns Varget - lap brass- remington primers crono`ed 2790 fps through my R700 XCR long range tactical.

You've got a lovely fast barrel there !

My 308 does 2650fps with a 168g Amax and 46g varget

I used to get 2750 with your 175mk and 50g of H 380 out of my trg21 but boy were they hot !

You've got a lovely fast barrel there !

My 308 does 2650fps with a 168g Amax and 46g varget

I used to get 2750 with your 175mk and 50g of H 380 out of my trg21 but boy were they hot !

If I use remington brass they do sit around 2750, the lads told me to use lap brass instead I not sure of the difference. I load them to AICS mag length whatever that is.

We loaded 45, 45.5 & 46 - 45.5 blew the primer and my RCO who shoots with us ran the 46 grn load through quickload and they where dangerous so we scrapped them. Dont think theres anything special about my barrel is as I purchased the gun new 1:12 twist

I manly shoot long range at WMS or Orion Firearms (wales) as the range is now called the 1100m firing points is +1200ft above sea level, I believe this makes a difference also.

I have a PSS in .300 win mag (bought from a member on here) and am happy with it. As always the remington circlip extractor is pathetic and is best replaced with a "sako" style one. The twist in my PSS is 1:11.75 there abouts. I will get it rebarelled to a 1:10 when it is fully shot out. Overall a nice gun, another thing to mention is the HS Precision stock has a shite palm swell on it, you can't get a proper grip on the gun.

I am going to give the 208gr amax bullets a go at some point in the future, maybe once i've rebarrelled as they have a brilliantly high BC and seem to do well in .300 win mag

Cheers

I have a PSS in .300 win mag (bought from a member on here) and am happy with it. As always the remington circlip extractor is pathetic and is best replaced with a "sako" style one. The twist in my PSS is 1:11.75 there abouts. I will get it rebarelled to a 1:10 when it is fully shot out. Overall a nice gun, another thing to mention is the HS Precision stock has a shite palm swell on it, you can't get a proper grip on the gun.

I am going to give the 208gr amax bullets a go at some point in the future, maybe once i've rebarrelled as they have a brilliantly high BC and seem to do well in .300 win mag

Cheers

What sort of range have you shot it to mate?

I started out with a factory Rem 700 in .300WM and when funds allowed rebarreled with a Pacnor match tube to throw the 210gr Berger VLDs.

I am using 69gr N160 with the 210s and a Fed GM magnum primer. I am getting velocities approx. 2750fps. The furthest I have yet had the chance to shoot it is 1200 yards which is as far as our club can stretch.

If you fit a decent muzzle brake its very pleasant to shoot. I don't mind shooting 60-70 rounds in a session

I too have a load of 208AMax to try as the bergers are getting stupidly expensive now

MArk

I've only shot mine to 800m so far so not really much help to you. Bang for buck I think a .300 win mag is a good choice, cheaper to reload and shoot than a .300lap, .30-378, 7mmAM, .338LM etc. Cost is an important factor for me as when it starts costing too much it takes a little fun out of it (a true yorkshireman speaking here)

Archived