DIY alloy shooting sticks

I`ve been kicking around the idea of a set of shooting sticks (and also tripod support). The tripod will be expensive and heavy, so I decided how about a cheap set of light sticks. At the moment I`m only interested in sitting and kneeling positions.

Cut to the chase - went to the junk shop and bought 3 alloy invalid sticks (the alloy ones with plastic handles) for about 4 quid total, net two M6 finger screws and some pipe lagging. Plastic end stops are from a cycle shop. In all a bit over 5 quid spent, plus a bit of glue and spray paint. Under a tenner anyway.

Assembly, used a medium sized tapometer to remover the plastic arm supports off the alloy tubes - I like the positive button and hole locking on the invalid sticks. Cut tubes to the same length, drilled 4 holes holes for the screws, glued on the foam pipe lagging painted, added plastic stoppers and bolted it together. Took two evenings to assemble.

In use: not bad at all, weighs nowt, folds down fairly small and has a good range of adjustment.

On a concrete or a wooden floor it is possible to make the legs slip with the hard plastic stoppers I used - rubber would be better. On earth no slipping problems - the finger nuts give a decent amount of leverage.

Lessons learned - I will look for an old tripod that has a 3 piece stem and make it up in the same way I think - It will give a standing position as well.

DSCN0093.jpg

and folded

DSCN0091.jpg

David.

Thanks for the kind words, I had it in mind as a learning experience.

The paint was rushed with two spray cans, brown was also planned but it started to rain.

Davo - Blue Peter - now you are showing your age (me too), but no badge for me - I didn`t use the mandatory bog roll. :unsure:

Need to learn to keep my feet out of the pics as well.

David

Only one thing buddy, Sandals with socks.............. Trinny & suzzana would have you bollock naked an in the mirrored room before you could blink :D;):lol:

I dont know who Trinny and Suzzana are - but naked, mirrors and two birds sounds good to me :D

Archived