T3 cammo experiment

My foxing T3 looked a bit drab in the tactical foliage green. Not a nice colour on it's own.

So to pep up the stock I added a little "Kaiser" grip and swivel studs to the side. We don't do cammo and I have only once messed around with one stock. We do however have a fantastic ultra tough extremely flat matt clear varnish made in Switzerland that we can use to protect the thinner layers of the cammo with. Anyway this is what the end result was.

This is an experimental stock that weighs around 600 gram as is. Bolt knob in wrap solid carbon with matt finish.

T3cammo3_zps5d1dc72f.jpg

t3cammo2_zps82fff513.jpg

edi

Scotch, at least an honest opinion. I don't know myself if it is "nice" or not. The wife liked it...

I turned down the original bolt knob so that the angle stayed swept back. It is very easy to do with a T3 bolt handle. I cut either a M6 or - thread on it, can't remember which one. Total weight of the handle and knob 25 grams. Weight interested me because that rifle had quite a few misfires with the 80gr.tactical handle as the firing pin going forward knocks the handle up or down a bit. Don't think Tikka did a great design on that as some of the firing pin energy is used up.

Not sure if that happens on all T3's.

edi

Scotch, at least an honest opinion. I don't know myself if it is "nice" or not. The wife liked it...

I turned down the original bolt knob so that the angle stayed swept back. It is very easy to do with a T3 bolt handle. I cut either a M6 or - thread on it, can't remember which one. Total weight of the handle and knob 25 grams. Weight interested me because that rifle had quite a few misfires with the 80gr.tactical handle as the firing pin going forward knocks the handle up or down a bit. Don't think Tikka did a great design on that as some of the firing pin energy is used up.

Not sure if that happens on all T3's.

edi

I know what you mean about the bolt movement.

Something I am interested in is the tough clear varnish. From my limited research on coatings I was tempered with a hydro dip but the durability really put me off. Something like the tough varnish would be the way to go. It would beat layered duracoat for application speed.

Scotch, I have a very good oven for drying, started the cammo job at 11am, and zeroed the rifle in the eve.

We used the same clear matt varnish on my Mauser which is holding up real well in rough shooting conditions.

Sika spike walked up and taken at 7m last Sunday

mauserampspike_zpsecb30470.jpg

edi

Archived