Maximum torque requirements for riflesmithying?

AI Perfector

I'm looking to buy a torque wrench for the various uses in connection with my various rifles, e.g. scope, chassis, barrel change. What is the maximum torque that I may expect to have to use on the rifle and / or fitted accessories?
Any recommendations as to manufacturers, models or torque wrench for above purpose. Not looking for the dog's ********, but want to avoid cheap and nasty.

May be worth looking at getting two.

The small screws need mere inchLb whereas the barrel may require a significant number of footLb .

Yup, Redmist on The Stalking Directory reckons:

Rings, bases, triggers and stock screw you need max of 65" / lbs

Barrel Change will require 90 - 100 ft / lbs

..and get a good quality breaker bar to crack barrels off, DO NOT use a torque wrench!

I use a Britool, American Precision and Snap-On torque wrenches although the AP is now out of calibration. Whatever you get look after it carefully and always back it off when not in use.

Curious as to the reason?

im guessing to much force also you dont need a torquw wrench yto crack barrels off thsats not what they are designed for , you wqould use it when fitting a barrel not removing it

im guessing to much force also you dont need a torquw wrench yto crack barrels off thsats not what they are designed for , you wqould use it when fitting a barrel not removing it

Ah, OK I understand now. Breaker bar to take barrel off but torque wrench to put it on. Correct?

I was told by two gunsmiths that you do not need to torque a barrel to 90 - 100 ft/lb as it is unecessary.

So I do mine to 60-65 ft/lb for the 6BR, 6.5 and 284 barrels without any issue.

And I use the torque wrench to undo them as well. Your choice as to what you do but that is mine.

A torque wrench should not be used for undoing things, certainly not a barrel which has been subjected to rain and dirt and numerous heat cycles and stresses. It is very easy to exceed the maximum rated torque of a wrench when cracking a barrel off hence the use of a breaker bar.

My M41 Actions have the barrels 'torqued' up by hand, a quick flick of the wrist is more than adequate and even the M59/M66 actions need very little more.

Buy the Borka, specifically designed for precision rifles. Great piece of kit.

Thanks, Looks simple (which is good - KISS principle adhered to!) and finer tolerances that some others. Do you know of a UK supplier and if so would you provide details? A quick web search does not give any UK based hits. Thanks in advance.

Update: 0808 10Oct13: Eureka.

Country United Kingdom Company Brock&Norris Address Unit G2, Sandford Industrial Park, Sanford, Whitchurch, SY13 2AN Website www.brockandnorris.com E-mail info@brockandnorris.com Phone 0845-521-2995

If you know of any other suppliers, that would be good to know.

A torque wrench should not be used for undoing things, certainly not a barrel which has been subjected to rain and dirt and numerous heat cycles and stresses. It is very easy to exceed the maximum rated torque of a wrench when cracking a barrel off hence the use of a breaker bar.

My M41 Actions have the barrels 'torqued' up by hand, a quick flick of the wrist is more than adequate and even the M59/M66 actions need very little more.

By barrel change, I was referring to switch barrel locking screws, as opposed to the barrel itself. But thanks anyway.

Thanks, Looks simple (which is good - KISS principle adhered to!) and finer tolerances that some others. Do you know of a UK supplier and if so would you provide details? A quick web search does not give any UK based hits. Thanks in advance.

Update: 0808 10Oct13: Eureka.

Country United Kingdom Company Brock&Norris Address Unit G2, Sandford Industrial Park, Sanford, Whitchurch, SY13 2AN Website www.brockandnorris.com E-mail info@brockandnorris.com Phone 0845-521-2995

If you know of any other suppliers, that would be good to know.

I got mine from Scott at Liberty Optics, he's a great guy to deal with. However much handier if someone in the UK has them in. They take a bit of practice to get the technique right but once you've got that they're a piece of cake to use. I'd quite happily buy a second one (the tool bench version) just to have on the bench.

Archived