REMINGTON STOCKS

Guest Sprags

I was considering a 'dedicated fox calibre' to run along side the .243 but now finally realise that the .243 is already the calibre that I need to shoot foxes.

My rifle is a Remington 700 SPS, I have been led to believe that the standard Remington stocks are that which promotes growth and vigour, so,..... two questions:

1. what is so bad about them?

2. How much to replace it with something suitable, i'e Macmillan etc?

Regards,Sprags!!

I was considering a 'dedicated fox calibre' to run along side the .243 but now finally realise that the .243 is already the calibre that I need to shoot foxes.

My rifle is a Remington 700 SPS, I have been led to believe that the standard Remington stocks are that which promotes growth and vigour, so,..... two questions:

Regards,Sprags!!

hi

i would say about £350 to replace depending on type and pad

my last one i ordered had a lead time of 5 to 6 months

but i think the wait is worth it

ATB

Colin :)

Regards,Sprags!!

Try Riflecraft for cheapish alternative, H/S Precision stock off Rem 700 PSS, they often have them for sale for not too much money. The stocks are left over when they use PSS actions for their custom builds.

Pete.

Well, if the stock you already have isn't causing you any problems, why worry that others feel that they're 'that which promotes growth and vigour'? Are YOU happy with the SPS stock or not?

I think the mac stocks are over priced and poorly finished. Boyds laminates are affordable and stable if you don't only want to consider synthetic stocks if you really do want to replace yours. SYSS are the UK distributors.

Sprags

if you want a better and cheaper alternative to the standard SPS stock try and obtain a Rem BDL Laminate, they are way better than the plastic SPS and cheaper than the composite custom alternatives.

The laminates are better bedded.

Next choice is as stated the HS Stock (aluminium spine and rock solid durability)

They are good but are better bedded.

However for top notch performance I would consider a Manners or Macmillan.

Manners are running on 12 week turn around at present - ive one on the way for a 700 and as promised it has been 12 weeks from order to dispatch.

Both Mcmillan and Manners also require bedding for a proper job.

Hi guys, i swapped my sps stock for a AICS, the improvment in accuracy is impressive to say the least.Still not sure if i like it though as its very heavy, ideal for lying out, but not convinced its for me as a stalking setup. Just fitted a monopod and at the moment think it was a waist of money :)

FERN

Fern, why do you say the mono pod is a waist of money? I am thinking of getting one for the aics. Also If you do plan on getting rid of your aics can I have first refusal.

Cheers, Andy

Fern, why do you say the mono pod is a waist of money? I am thinking of getting one for the aics. Also If you do plan on getting rid of your aics can I have first refusal.

Cheers, Andy

Its to short,it could be that i have a harris bipod and not the ai, but even with the bipod legs at the shortest (9in i think) and the monopod extended i have to balance the monopod on a clenched fist to get a level line of fire.Admitedly its better than without,but not what i had hoped for.Im sure i will hang onto it for time being as im enjoying the improvment in accuracy and look forward to some longer shots now the evenings are drawing out.Will certainly let you know if i decide to get rid.

Would be interested to here if anybody got any good ideas concerning the monopod :unsure:

Regards FERN

You can buy direct from Tom, he is great to deal with and will talk you through what you need.

Like I posted earlier 12 weeks is usual turn around, I have just recieved notification that my T4A is on its way, I had some modifications done, but even with that, I expect circa £360 into the country than VAT on top :unsure:

Similar prices to Mcmillan, but I personally think the Manners are a stronger product (made from Carbon Fibre as opposed to standard glassfibre)

Having said that I took delivery of an A5 I ordered recently and that is bob on too,,,,,,,

My mate has an sps stainless in 25/06 & fitted a jewell trigger & it groups great.I have a remmy 700 ADL in 22.250 with the plan to restock it which i have with an H-S precission & it's very good & what my mate is after for his but his shoots well for now so aint changing as he is grippet.Im now thinking going down the same route as the 22.250 but in a 6.5x284 as getting bullet heads in the 25cal for me is a pain.I hope to rebarrel & jewell trigger the 22 at some point.

Archived