anschutz hmr barrel length .

drum

Does anyone know if the 14" 17hmr barrel is a different twist rate to the standard barrel?A friend has had his chopped to 14" (barrel that is) and it wont shoot a group worth a toss.It was fine beforehand.He has taken it back to the smith that chopped it to be told that the reason why it no longer stabalises the bullet is that factory annie barrels have a different twist in 14" compared to 20".

Understandably the lads a bit peeved that he wasnt told this beforehand.If indeed this is the case is there any tricks he could use to salvage the rifle or is it a new gun needed? Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

Paul

Well on the anschutz website it gives a "rifling length" of 228mm or a 1 in 9" for every single model which should be more than enough.

Velocity will make a difference to stability but less so at higher velocities.

Is the crown/threading job good and concentric without any damage in this area? Has the gun been tried without a mod?

Just spoke to the lad and he sent the rifle back to check the crown etc. and all was well.Gun shoots as bad with a mod as without.He has tried 17 grain ,20 grain and the 15 grain bullets and all shoot very poorly.Would it be worth trying to pressure bed the barrel ? i know this goes against normal practice for best accuracy but he is at a loss as to what to do next.

Just spoke to the lad and he sent the rifle back to check the crown etc. and all was well.Gun shoots as bad with a mod as without.He has tried 17 grain ,20 grain and the 15 grain bullets and all shoot very poorly.Would it be worth trying to pressure bed the barrel ? i know this goes against normal practice for best accuracy but he is at a loss as to what to do next.

He could ask the smith just what bullet works in the factory 14" Anschutz with it's alleged different twist,and have the smith try that,or check with Anschutz-but he should also make the point that so far no bullet weight shoots very well....so something has changed for the worse after the smith cut the barrel.though it's unlikely there are actually unequivocal before/after groups.......was there an 'at owners risk' condition explicitly?

Gbal

I believe when he took the rifle in to be cut the shop employee did say that it was a common procedure that they were doing.He definatly didnt say that it was risky.The lad took the gun back and it was the shop that tried all the different brands/weights of bullets.It would be impossible,i would think ,to prove the gun shot well before then badly after been cut so given that the gun is now hopeless any ideas on how to salvage it short of rebarreling?If it does need a rebarrel any ideas on cost?I think he is thinking of sending it back to anschutz for a rebarrel,would that be a more expensive way of doing it than say getting it done by a gunsmith with a non anschutz barrel?

i had an anschutz cut down to 14" and grouping never changed.provided it has completed a full twist why would it?something is not right.is he shooting the same batch of ammo he was before the chop?i have one batch that shoot nearly 2" and a good batch that shoots .70".

Before spending any more cash,he should tell the whole sorry story to Anschutz and get their view.The twist cannot change just by shortening the barrel and 14 inches is enough I would have thought,for spin,esp as there is some reason to think the factory 14 inch are the same spin as longer barrels-that needs confirmation though by Anschutz-if not,there is a claim against the smith perhaps-'not fit for purpose'?It matters that the smith,not 'the lad' tried various bullets,and has agreed none work(I assume?).Is there no evidence of pre chop performance?Give an accurate account to Anschutz,and see what they say,esp if the smith accepts no responsibility....barrels vary in price,and usually corresponding performance-though who does the work may be a factor too,as seems a possibility here...? Many barrels are shortened with no dramatic effects....if the smith agrees,then clearly something is amiss in this case...get Anschutz involved.

Gbal

I would assume barrel damage/poor crown, but could there also be bedding problems? it's easy to lose the little free collar in an anschutz stock and i think that caused problems for me.

I have needed a new barrel on a Anschutz 17HMR. It was a few years ago now and I can't remember the exact economics of it but it didnt go back to Anschutz. I had it rebarreled by a good smith with a walther stainless tube, shoots lovely, but for the money I could have bought a new CZ with a mod and scope included!

I would assume barrel damage/poor crown, but could there also be bedding problems? it's easy to lose the little free collar in an anschutz stock and i think that caused problems for me.

I have needed a new barrel on a Anschutz 17HMR. It was a few years ago now and I can't remember the exact economics of it but it didnt go back to Anschutz. I had it rebarreled by a good smith with a walther stainless tube, shoots lovely, but for the money I could have bought a new CZ with a mod and scope included!

Aha! So check if the 'little free collar' is there....it will be cheaper to replace than the barrel....and retest with collar...fingers crossed....

Gbal

Archived