The new Lapua Scenar L. anybody used this bullet yet ?

entel

This is my 1st post. l loaded up 20 rds in batches of 5 with a proven powder weight for my rifle [Dolphin/Barnard] 1in 13 barrel. there was 4 lots of 5 rounds each with lot with a different c.o.l. starting with 2.830/ 35 / 40 / 45. l was at century today at 300yds the 1st 5 were very good 5vs. The next 4 vs and a 5 plus one blown primer. The 5 were 2 vs/ 2 5s and a 4 plus 2 blown primers. The max c.o.l in my rifle with these bullets is 2.925" touching the lands. The powder was IMR 4895 @ 45.5 grs. in once fired cases RWS. They came from someone l know who shot the Imperial. l believe there was some problems with the ammo. could this be related ?. Your thoughts would be most appreciated. l fire 155 loads through this rifle Berger/Sierra and the older Scenar.

Regards ENTEL.

My thoughts would be that using brass fired in another rifle is not the best way to evaluate a bullet.

I've used the 6mm L bullets in 600 yd benchrest and they appeared to perform as well as the Bergers I normally use. I know that Lapua have tried to produce a better jacket with the L - which is where Berger tend score over mass produced bullets.

Check the water volume of the RWS brass as they seem to have thicker walls, or at least a reduced case capacity in comparison to Lapua which can lead to significant over pressure signs quite early. I have seen this with IMR4895 and H4895.

I have only shot a 100 or so of the 155 grain Scenar L so early days however I have not see the improvement I had expected given the price increase. They do point quite nicely if needed. My understanding is they were shot at Raton by the GB F/TR team however I am yet to see any feedback in writing on the results.

Not at Raton. Everybody bar two GB F/TR team shooters used the 155.5gn Berger BT. The others used the newer 155gn Sierra MK, but only because his barrel had a serious coppering problem with the 155.5, his usual bullet. The other 'odd man out' was Steve Thornton using his usual 155gn Dyer HBCs, or 'Aussie Shrapnel' as others have jokingly named it. Steve does just fine with these £280 / 1,000 bullets - 13th overall F/TR 'individual' place in the Worlds is a fantastic result.

Other national teams mostly used the 185gn Berger 'Juggernaut', and many privateers used 'heavies', mostly Berger 200gn Hybrids and 210gn VLDs, maybe a few using the 215gn Hybrid

Archived