Accuracy test

As I don't have the stamina for precision (shooting many bullets close together) anymore, I did a test to see if my accuracy (shooting bullets exactly to desired point of impact) is still there.

The test is simple enough, shoot one shot at your target and measure the deviation from target centre (which is desired POI in this case). Convert this distance to MOA so people can have a reasonable understanding of your group. I reckon it would be better to use MIL to denote accuracy as that is what you'll see through most tactical scopes - if the MIL size of the target is inside your logged MIL accuracy you know you'll have a very good chance of hitting the target.

It seems to me that most shooters need a target sized between 1 and 2 MOA to hit it reliably under most conditions (I'm talking accuracy, not precision). I clocked in very slow and at the outer limits with 1.7 MOA, but I seem to have peeled of most of the shooter errors. Still can't feel the rifle, so occasionally pulling the grip or trigger.

In my 6,5x55 I usually shoot just slow target ammunition (730-750 msec in my 20"), but now I'm shooting up the rest of my 123gr Amax with some residue powder I had left. V0 on my current loads are 783 msec.

I started with 308, but found that 6,5x55 did the same job with less recoil. I even tried 6mms for a season, but the experience was marred with having to spend time looking for deer due little blood. This was with a 6mm-223. I found the 243 excellent, but a little lacking at range.

With 140gr and 123gr Amax bullets I've had great success, but I'm sticking to 140gr now as they are readily available here.

Yes definitely easier on the shoulder than a 308. I've had good success with the 129gn sst in the 6.5.

243 is a favourite and with the faster twist barrel I enjoy it more using the heavier 105/107gn bullets and find the 100gn speer soft point good for stalking.

I recently got an el cheapo Sako Forester with a new 1:8 Border barrel, I really like the idea of the 6mm 105gr Amax. I have some 600 Norma 6XC cartridges lying about, so the plan is to eventually rechamber the rifle unless I go for a custom 6XC barrel.

What I loved about the 6mm-223 was the ability to follow the bullet and see the flick of fur when it impacted the deer. If I can get that in a more potent package, I might even shoulder the cost of a custon R93 barrel. My 6,5x284 barrels simply doesn't appear (waiting 1,5 years now...)

The beaty of 6,5 and 7mm is the huge number of suitable, really good bullet whilst go up//down and the selection dwindles.

I've already done it, 2980 fps w 105 amax/ 24". Cannot remember if I used Vit N560 or Norma MRP. The rifle is off for a barrel chop (to 20"), moderator threading and a larger bolt knob.

Probably not going to keep it, just bought it for a film project. It was such a huge step back going from the Blaser to a traditional bolt.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes definitely easier on the shoulder than a 308. I've had good success with the 129gn sst in the 6.5.

243 is a favourite and with the faster twist barrel I enjoy it more using the heavier 105/107gn bullets and find the 100gn speer soft point good for stalking.

Certainly agree on the 129g SST for 6.5.... 260 Rem specifically.....not so dramatically expansive/damaging as the Nosler BT but less of a complete pass-through as I have had with Nosler A'bonds.

Archived