100 or 127 grain bullets for .223?

Davy

These are for subs for a very specific purpose at 25m in a 1:8 however I do wonder if the 127s will be pointing in the right direction even at that distance. I would prefer 100 grain and will have to do some experimenting.

These are for subs for a very specific purpose at 25m in a 1:8 however I do wonder if the 127s will be pointing in the right direction even at that distance. I would prefer 100 grain and will have to do some experimenting.

Not being a pro at these sort of things but I wouldn't have thought that a 1-8 twist will have a hope of stabilising a 100g bullet at sub sonic speeds, I would have thought you would need something in the region of a 1-5.

As a man who has many machines to produce swarf I would have thought you would make your own mould if your using lead bullets or a die if your planning to go with a jacket type?

Redshift

I agree a 1:8 has no chance of stabilising a very heavy round. I had thought about monolithic's and have modelled a few ideas however I cannot get the weight much beyond 91 grains and it is not an area of expertise so cast with gas checks may be the way to go. Either that or persuade the customer to use something else for the job.

building my own jacketed bullets is a thought and I have looked into it a few times however I am not ready for it yet.

I agree a 1:8 has no chance of stabilising a very heavy round. I had thought about monolithic's and have modelled a few ideas however I cannot get the weight much beyond 91 grains and it is not an area of expertise so cast with gas checks may be the way to go. Either that or persuade the customer to use something else for the job.

building my own jacketed bullets is a thought and I have looked into it a few times however I am not ready for it yet.

Have you thought about depleted uranium Dave. :) With a density about 70% heavier than lead you might get away with about a 1 in 5 if you want to keep it subsonic. :D

Exeter lad, I agree, a standard 75 grain bullets is the way to go. I will get down to the tunnel range in the next couple of weeks to do some load development. Down side is the customer is very limited in the powders they use.

Trail boss is the best it gives you a good case charge.. I use it in my 308 with a 175 smk.. It's so,so quiet I'm pushing them around the 1000fps mark.. Remember wen testing don't use a moderator!! They have a tendency to tumble.. Load 5 up shoot 3 unsuppressed and check they enter the target cleanly.. Then fire the other 2 shots suppressed to find out if you happy with sound reduction.. Remember don't use moderator wen testing and don't use if bullets tumble in target :)

Archived