expanding bullets

simon6ppc

hi guys, i bought a 22.250 vssf mark 2 remy 3 month ago,i only had hornady 50 grain soft points at the time to shoot through it,but it seriously shoots them well under half inch at 110 yards so to be honest it wasn't a problem,but a problem started as the foxes ive been shooting with these soft points,good solid hits i mean have been running say 30 or 40 yards some times even more as the bullets are just not exploding at all, i have found the foxes but if they are in rushes it can some times take ages,when picked up i can just find a tiny little drop of blood where the bullet went in and out, so i finally got some 50 grain v.max and noslers but to be honest at the moment they are shooting well over inch groups at 110 where i zero,the reason why ime posting this is what loads do you 22.250 guys use and what groups do you get and are you happy with them, i don't trust the noslers or v.max as they are shooting very in consistant groups at the moment, i use H380 with 37 grains with all off them, COAL 2.350 soft points and 2.380 v.max, or should i slow the soft points down a bit.cheers simon.

I use the 50 grain vmax but had to get em pretty quick to get groups. I use 41gr H380, as per Hodgdon manual. It is a full case but shoots great. Prior to that the best bullets I found were sierra blitzkings 55gr. They were soft points but deffo expanded fine

ye cheers guys,so expansion wise i always thought the faster it goes it expands more,i could be wrong though with a soft point as ive heard if it slows down it expands better,the reason i say this is it shoots the soft points so well and i don't want to realy stop using them, ive had four 22.250,s now in my time and none have shot as good as this remy only with soft points though,but as said the dam things don't expand and to me a 22.250 is well known for expansion as ive used one for 20 plus years,atb simon,,

ye cheers guys,so expansion wise i always thought the faster it goes it expands more,i could be wrong though with a soft point as ive heard if it slows down it expands better,the reason i say this is it shoots the soft points so well and i don't want to realy stop using them, ive had four 22.250,s now in my time and none have shot as good as this remy only with soft points though,but as said the dam things don't expand and to me a 22.250 is well known for expansion as ive used one for 20 plus years,atb simon,,

I use the 50 grain vmax but had to get em pretty quick to get groups. I use 41gr H380, as per Hodgdon manual. It is a full case but shoots great. Prior to that the best bullets I found were sierra blitzkings 55gr. They were soft points but deffo expanded fine

you could be right pal,do you get any signs of pressure with that load as i am getting a slightly crated primers with 37 grains

I have shot with my old SSG69 A-max and BLK 55gr. A max- 33.6gr of N140 at .010" jump (3450 ish fps) also the best bullets and shot up to 600 yards and BLK 55gr 34.9gr at .010" jump (about 3500ish fps). i know it's not H380 as I couldn't get any but N140 has worked well with rounds shooting sub moa all the time. No pressure signs from this rifle.

hi guys, i bought a 22.250 vssf mark 2 remy 3 month ago,i only had hornady 50 grain soft points at the time to shoot through it,but it seriously shoots them well under half inch at 110 yards so to be honest it wasn't a problem,but a problem started as the foxes ive been shooting with these soft points,good solid hits i mean have been running say 30 or 40 yards some times even more as the bullets are just not exploding at all, i have found the foxes but if they are in rushes it can some times take ages,when picked up i can just find a tiny little drop of blood where the bullet went in and out, so i finally got some 50 grain v.max and noslers but to be honest at the moment they are shooting well over inch groups at 110 where i zero,the reason why ime posting this is what loads do you 22.250 guys use and what groups do you get and are you happy with them, i don't trust the noslers or v.max as they are shooting very in consistant groups at the moment, i use H380 with 37 grains with all off them, COAL 2.350 soft points and 2.380 v.max, or should i slow the soft points down a bit.cheers simon.

Hi Simon,

Sorry to be cheeky, but could i ask what you what you think of your Rem 700 vssf? Quality and trigger to. I see you're already getting the accuracy...

Also, what's the difference between the mk 1 and mk2? And are the changes any better?

I'm thinking on getting a Remmy 700 VTR in .223 as i like the 1-9 twist for heavier bullets so i can use it for a bit of range work/practice at longer distances...

atb

Jamie

Had a Lakelander first and tried various development loads for that .... ended up with Nosler 55grn BTip's, 37grns of H380, CCI primers, seated to 1950 on the ogive with a Hornady comparator.

Tried various recipes and seating depths and with some it just wouldn't give a group of any sort <_< the Nolsers were the best but still not brilliant, some were awful when I fitted a T8...then I took a bit off the stock bolt to give another half turn tightness and the groups cloverleafed... so what I'm saying here is that there may be other things causing crap groups.

Then I got a Blaser .22-250 barrel...and that performed well with the above load and the T8, then I got a Jet Z and did a re-test and ended up with 37.5grns H414 having tried 36.5 - 39.0gn loads.

Also tried Sierra Blitz Kings 55grn in the same sequence and they were giving me 1.25/1.5" groups. Cr*p .... although they worked well in the .223. i found the SBK's to be more 'explosive' than the Noslers

I also tried various seating depths with both rifles but these got worse the closer to the lands they got... so back out to 1950.

Speed of the final rounds was around the 3300fps mark so not too drastic, no pressure signs - put around 350-450 rounds through the Blaser barrel with good results, I can't think of anything more than a handful of foxes that didn't drop on the spot. It was unusual if they didn't... or down to the pink thing!

atb

Fizz

B)

Hi Simon,

Sorry to be cheeky, but could i ask what you what you think of your Rem 700 vssf? Quality and trigger to. I see you're already getting the accuracy...

Also, what's the difference between the mk 1 and mk2? And are the changes any better?

I'm thinking on getting a Remmy 700 VTR in .223 as i like the 1-9 twist for heavier bullets so i can use it for a bit of range work/practice at longer distances...

atb

Jamie

hiya pal this vssf mark 2 is a serious shooter in my eyes, it honestly shoots well under half inch with the soft point bullets all touching at 110 yards, i have shot 22 foxes with it in 3 months some at good range just these soft points some times just are not exploding,just a the min the v.max and noslers do an ok group then a terrible inch half or well over which seems strange as with a cheap soft point it groups almost like my 6ppc,the trigger is ok i suppose but i have felt better ones if i be 100 percent truthfull,but ye for a 22.250 i think the accuracy is out standing, just need to get the noslers doing the same as the soft point and it will be happy days cheers simon..

Hi Simon,

atb

Jamie

hiya pal this vssf mark 2 is a serious shooter in my eyes, it honestly shoots well under half inch with the soft point bullets all touching at 110 yards, i have shot 22 foxes with it in 3 months some at good range just these soft points some times just are not exploding,just a the min the v.max and noslers do an ok group then a terrible inch half or well over which seems strange as with a cheap soft point it groups almost like my 6ppc,the trigger is ok i suppose but i have felt better ones if i be 100 percent truthfull,but ye for a 22.250 i think the accuracy is out standing, just need to get the noslers doing the same as

Had a Lakelander first and tried various development loads for that .... ended up with Nosler 55grn BTip's, 37grns of H380, CCI primers, seated to 1950 on the ogive with a Hornady comparator.

Tried various recipes and seating depths and with some it just wouldn't give a group of any sort <_< the Nolsers were the best but still not brilliant, some were awful when I fitted a T8...then I took a bit off the stock bolt to give another half turn tightness and the groups cloverleafed... so what I'm saying here is that there may be other things causing crap groups.

Then I got a Blaser .22-250 barrel...and that performed well with the above load and the T8, then I got a Jet Z and did a re-test and ended up with 37.5grns H414 having tried 36.5 - 39.0gn loads.

Also tried Sierra Blitz Kings 55grn in the same sequence and they were giving me 1.25/1.5" groups. Cr*p .... although they worked well in the .223. i found the SBK's to be more 'explosive' than the Noslers

I also tried various seating depths with both rifles but these got worse the closer to the lands they got... so back out to 1950.

Speed of the final rounds was around the 3300fps mark so not too drastic, no pressure signs - put around 350-450 rounds through the Blaser barrel with good results, I can't think of anything more than a handful of foxes that didn't drop on the spot. It was unusual if they didn't... or down to the pink thing!

atb

Fizz

B)

cheers pal thanks for that info,i will keep trying different powders and seating depths yet,i have herd that the vssf loves 52 grain a.max so will try them when i get some,but to be honest its so accurate with what ime using at the moment i could just stick with the soft points as ive only lost 2 foxes out of 24 with it, so realy it isn't a bad average if i be truth full ,but just thought i would ask you guys with what i was going through,cheers simon...

the soft point and it will be happy days cheers simon..

Hi Simon,

atb

Jamie

not jamie,but i have a rem 700 vtr in 223 1/9 twist

trigger is dire -,mine was pulling me off aim by abround 8/12" at 100 yards,non adjustable as well so i put a timney straight blade unit in.

stock is dreadfull as well,but i new this before i got it.

the muzzle brake is acctually part of the barrel,ie the last two inch has slots cut out,i hated it and had it cut off recrowned and threaded for a mod.

post-10020-0-12256700-1379270520_thumb.jpg

I tried to buy a vssf a few years back, after testing it turned out it would only shoot 40gn bullets well, which was dissapointing as i really liked them. A mate had one which was awesome with 55gn bullets-figure that!

I tried to buy a vssf a few years back, after testing it turned out it would only shoot 40gn bullets well, which was dissapointing as i really liked them. A mate had one which was awesome with 55gn bullets-figure that!

ye funny pal,must be certain barrels just like certain bullets,but it does get me mad as the soft points, i have honestly never had a 22.250 that shoots them that accurate,thats why i have used a 6ppc on foxes for the last 12 years,so i thought i would try another 22.250 but at the min the noslers or v.max are not just impressing me,cheers simon,

• 2 weeks later...

52g A-Max over 40g H380 in RP brass is very accurate in my Steyr SSG 69, & 55g Nosler BT`s over 40g H380 were the mutt`s in my old Rem 700 VS. Make of primer ( standard large rifle ), seems not to make the slightest difference to accuracy.

The A-Max seem a bit more accurate than the V-Max.
Hornady aparently has had a 200 % increase in orders this year & is suspending manufacture of some heads, to concentrate on the more commonly used ones. Need to check out their web site.

Archived