Dog shot on golf course !

shooter79

Maybe it shouldn't have been there, but, if the shooter shot at eyes, intentionally shot at the dog, hit the dog accidentally as there was no safe backstop, then the person pulling the trigger is to blame. Then again I wasn't the man on the ground and don't have all the facts, typical DM sensationalist shite

The person who pulled the trigger is completely to blame, unless he intended to shoot a stray dog ! perhaps the shooter was using night vision beyond its ability. I find this a real concern with cheaper NV being available to the masses, not that I begrudge people getting the kit but they must understand that it has its limits and should always be used within them.

He or she pulled the trigger and he or she is solely responsible not the dog or person straying of the public foot path. Thank god it was only a dog ! and not a child.

The article states that the dog was shot in the chest and is repeated by the owner saying so when he found it.

If that is correct, then the shooter was not shooting at eyes, as is the most common mistake.

Whatever the circumstances were, there does not seem to be any logical reason for the mistake as it was only 21.15hrs when the shot was heard, which is hardly nightime is it, and a dog of that sort can hardly be mistaken for a rather large rabbit or even a long legged fox !

Easily done........Out one night lamping with a mate and we'd passed through the wood and next to a golf course. I spotted a set of eyes 200yds off. I gets down on the bipod and he said are you taking a shot? I said no just taking a better look through the scope.

Good job I did as the scope showed a diagonal line off to the left??? on closer inspection there was a guy on the end of the lead with a black Labrador on the other end!!!

Eyes and reflection are nothing to go on here but without all the facts its hard to be conclusive of this case. The shooter would have to be held responsible unless there was something else to it.

The article states that the dog was shot in the chest and is repeated by the owner saying so when he found it.

If that is correct, then the shooter was not shooting at eyes, as is the most common mistake.

Whatever the circumstances were, there does not seem to be any logical reason for the mistake as it was only 21.15hrs when the shot was heard, which is hardly nightime is it, and a dog of that sort can hardly be mistaken for a rather large rabbit or even a long legged fox !

shooting at eyes is the term used when the eyes are illuminated with lamp or other light source,the shooter hasnt identified the quarry correctly but assumed? it was legitemate and shot hitting the dog.as for the time thats irrelevant .

thats why lampers need to know 100%what differant eyes on various animals look like when lit up.

shooting at eyes is the term used when the eyes are illuminated with lamp or other light source,the shooter hasnt identified the quarry correctly but assumed? it was legitemate and shot hitting the dog.as for the time thats irrelevant .

thats why lampers need to know 100%what differant eyes on various animals look like when lit up.

Would a fox be that different from a dog about the same size?

Would a fox be that different from a dog about the same size?

if you cant tell the differance between a dog and a fox you or anyone shouldnt go out lamping.

if your asking about eye shine/reflection then yes they are not the same,

01:30 am three years ago my mate lit up a pair of eyes in the edge of wheelings through stubble

The eyes did not look right along with shiny bits that distorted in the red lamp on top of the truck

Looking through my scope it was a teenager laid down hiding three fields from the nearest road

After a steady drive over this lad stood up, he was wearing a black track suit and hat with a black rucksack with reflectors on it

After a chat he said he was taking a short cut

We rang the local bobby and he found him on the road near Nettleham

After a look in the rucksack he found the takings of 20 car thefts that very night throughout Lincoln

We got a nice letter from the local Sargent and he got community service

He had a pocket full of grit, this he through at the windows as he ran past, nobody noticed the windows had been broken as they looked out of their windows as he had legged it

1/2 hour later he returned to steal what he wanted

Thank god I didn't just shoot him

Have had a large cat sitting looking straight at me with a white chest

Some you win

Alan xxx

As someone who has, over the years had to shoot a lot of dogs often with the Police present, I have to say that the way things are reported by the press is almost never what actually happens. Tourists in particular have untrained dogs who, when allowed to do their own thing unattended on the hill worry stock and often the only way to control them at that stage is with the rifle.

Whilst no stock was involved, this dog was not under its owners supervision or more importantly the owners control. Ultimately, its the owners fault.

As someone who has, over the years had to shoot a lot of dogs often with the Police present, I have to say that the way things are reported by the press is almost never what actually happens. Tourists in particular have untrained dogs who, when allowed to do their own thing unattended on the hill worry stock and often the only way to control them at that stage is with the rifle.

Whilst no stock was involved, this dog was not under its owners supervision or more importantly the owners control. Ultimately, its the owners fault.

Many will disagree with that statement but i support it, not sure about the overall blame as the trigger closed the deal !

Hmmm your defending a shot being made to an mis-identifed target, I think I need to stop going out for walks for my 2yr son ...

Personally I never take a shot unless I can CLEARLY ID the quarry and the back stop behind it. Using this mantra I have turned down a fair few foxes etc but then touch wood I've never had any safty issues! And to me that's more important!!

Personally I never take a shot unless I can CLEARLY ID the quarry and the back stop behind it. Using this mantra I have turned down a fair few foxes etc but then touch wood I've never had any safty issues! And to me that's more important!!

Not being one to shoot at anything with eyes, the above should be the mantra for any hunter. I guess that the majority of hunters will follow this rule to ensure that no-one (human or dog) is killed/wounded. But all you need is one incident to blow up probably out of all proportion. How do you ensure that it will not happen again? I don't believe that you can, as it has happened in the past with an innocent person being shot/killed.

Hmmm your defending a shot being made to an mis-identifed target, I think I need to stop going out for walks for my 2yr son ...

Was the tgt misidentified though? If, as is suggested the shot was through the chest, it may well be that the trigger man had identified the tgt for what it was.

Was the tgt misidentified though? If, as is suggested the shot was through the chest, it may well be that the trigger man had identified the tgt for what it was.

And your defending this why??? Perhaps the club should stipulate that any patrons or otherwise wishing to walk across the golf course do so at the risk of potentially being shot, this i'm sure will set a new precidence for home-owners wishing to stop those pesky kids jumping over the fence to retrieve a lost football ....

+1

I like (most) humans,dogs and foxes,though there may be a case for controlling some of them.

But,considering public safety,is a firearm the most appropriate way to control rabbits on a golf course?

Gbal

Good point George! I would have thought that any club official who employs shooters to get rid of pests, would check the perimeter to see if there are any risks to human life if the shooter misses and a stray bullet ends up going into someones garden/house with resultant loss of life etc. If that risk exists, then a different approach is needed. Simples!

Golf courses are public places during the day, and at night, they are all used by dog walkers. The guy hasn't a leg to stand on.

If he'd shot my dog in a public place, the law would be the last thing he would be worried about. Removing his rifle from his ringpiece would probarbly be his most pressing problem.

Archived