Focal plane change

GarryS

Hello chaps, I have a Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50 ill L4 in the 1st focal plane, the question is can this be changed to a 2nd focal plane, I send to a e-mail to s&b but had no reply as yet, cheers.

GS

Can I tag onto Gary's question with a related one-Just what are the relative advantages and disadvantages of the two options?

I didn't think I had any issues with 2nd focal plane-separate accurate lazer rangefinder;target not obscured by reticle,ever etc ,but the first must offer some advantages.(obviously, separate from optical quality -my Night Forces seem adequate to my eyes),and side focus is an advantage that I now would not be without now...(I quite like the Burris laserscope too,though range and 12x could be improved),so what does 1st focal offer.....? (or not,Garry?)

Gbal

I have aquired a mixture of 1FP & 2FP S&B scopes. What I want is the option to use reticle holdover and windage when I choose to (vs 'clicking') and for that you are better off with a 1FP scope because you can do so at any magnification given the target / reticle relationship remains unchanged as you 'zoom'. With a 2FP scope the target / reticle relationship is only valid at a given mag setting.

You do have to be careful with 1FP scopes that your chosen reticle is not too fine or too thick at each end of the available magnification scale....the S&B P4Fine seems to fit that bill nicely for me.

Both types have advantages/disadvantages but for me the 1st FFP is the better option. Ability to use accurate hold over/under at any magnification and the abitility to range estimate on any magnification outweigh the 2nd ffp option. Some will say the range estimation is rubbish,'' everyone uses a laser'', but what happens when a competition stage bans there use or the battery goes flat? I actually enjoy trying to range targets then double checking with a laser, you will be suprised at the outcome.

Having contacted S&B recently with regard to the same thing they sent the following:-

We would like to thank you for your e-mail enquiry.

Focal change would be possible.

Price: EURO 515,21 plus freight and VAT charges.
.....................................................................................................

Servicing for scope.

Price: EURO 66,00 plus freight and VAT charges.
....................................................................................................

Freight

Price: EURO 21,60 plus VAT charges.

At present repair time is approx. 3 weeks after receipt of scope.

Kind regards,

Klaus Görzel i.A. Sabine Brandt
After Sales Department Office

Schmidt & Bender GmbH & Co. KG
Am Großacker 42
D- 35444 Biebertal / Fellingshausen

Phone: +49 64 09 81 15-0
Fax: +49 64 09 81 15-11
E-Mail: info@schmidt-bender.de
Internet: www.schmidt-bender.de

£ OUCH! Think I might have to make do with those of my scopes which are 2FP.

Thanks everyone for the information re first and second FP +/- . It looks as if they either can't be changed,or can't be changed very economically!

I think I'll struggle on with a spare battery,and the accurate subtensions at one known mag on the first focal plane scopes meanwhile,but as ever,it's horses for courses...or prizes and compromizes!!

Gbal

Think you mean accurate at one known mag with 2nd ffp. You can actually use a 2nd ffp much much more that at just one mag. With an NSX for example the mag goes from 5.5 to 22. That's because every time you halve the mag the subtension 'value' doubles hence 22,11and 5.5 magnification. Try it against an object of known size and you will soon see what I mean. This can be a useful feature but is just one more thing to remember.

Think you mean accurate at one known mag with 2nd ffp. You can actually use a 2nd ffp much much more that at just one mag. With an NSX for example the mag goes from 5.5 to 22. That's because every time you halve the mag the subtension 'value' doubles hence 22,11and 5.5 magnification. Try it against an object of known size and you will soon see what I mean. This can be a useful feature but is just one more thing to remember.

Sorry,a slip-of course I meant second focal plane-I understand the math,just prefer the laser,and don't see the risk of setting the mag exactly,under pressure ,and doing the extra calculations,as worth the gain-which seems to me largely in wider field of view,but that is an individual decision,which will vary with circumstances,targets,and rules etc.Anyhow,for me-it all hinges on the crucial information-do you know the size of the target-if you don't,then subtension ranging is rather compromised-I imagine in competitions you do know. I think laser rangers are progress,so why not? But there it is,horses for courses,but it's differences of opinion that lead to horse races,anyhow- as the great Warren Page put it!

Gbal

Archived