Frangible bullets

shotgun sam

In the new Home office guide on firearms licensing law Chapter 4 expanding ammunition
4.3 The words ‘designed or adapted’ are important. Any bullet will deform on impact with a sufficiently hard surface, but only bullets, and ammunition containing bullets, which were designed or have been adapted to do so in a controlled manner are actually controlled by the legislation (see Chapter 3). If in doubt as to the design intention of a bullet, reference to the maker’s design specification should be made. Frangible bullets, do not fall under section 5(1A)(f) of the 1968 Act. Does this mean that the likes of Barnes varmint grenades bullets can be bought without them being entered on your FAC?

I am no expert on that aspect of the law but I very much expect that they will be regarded as per any other expanding ammo.

The complete mystery to me is WHY they make such distinctions at all!

It's whatever the manufacturers decide to name it. If it's called "Match" or "Target" legally it's non-expanding.

Any reference to "Varmint" or hunting and it's legally expanding.

Doesn't seem to matter how it actually performs in the real world.

For example Hornady A-Max expand great but are legally classified as target bullets.

i was under the impression that you dont have to put heads entered on your FAC, as i remember when i last renewed the officer said when shooters reload , we don't know exactly how many they use when it came to renewal ! ...

Archived