.223 fast twist vs .204

Hi guys,

I currently have a .204 ruger that shoots very well, but pondering with the idea of a .223 fast twist to shoot the heavey rounds like the 75/80 grain A-Max's.

I enjoy and love long range targets and rabbit/corvid splatting with my .204 out to 500 yards.

Question is, would I benifit from a fast twist .223 shooting the 75/80's out to these ranges, I know the 204 will still be flatter shooting but will the wind drift be largely beneficial out to 500 yards, tradjectory isn't a problem as I will be dialing in.

If I got a fast twist.223 I would also like to push the ranges beyond 500/600 yards if the cartridge bullet combination will do it?

The purpose of this rifle is not to walk along a hedge row shooting rabbits etc at 120 yards, its more to be used as a vantage point static rifle shooting long range intended to be better then my 204.

Just thought id add, Id love a .260 rem or a 6.5x47 but all we have species wise over here is rabbits and corvids, no fox and no dear so the likely Ness of anyone getting a 260 rem or the likes is nill! Thought id better mention this now guys before any other suggestions!

Whats your views and thoughts guys?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

I love my tikka t3 1 in 8 twist. It loves the 75 Amax (not tried the 80's yet as I have 1500 75's). The 223 will be better as a dual role rilfe if you shoot targets as well but if its mainly for vermin I'd stick with the .204.

I have an old Sako vixen fitted with a 27" 1:8 pacnor.

It shoots Berger 80gr VLDs out to 1000yds with no dramas.

Odds are not good for a first shot bunny at that range though :-p

Rup

A 22 centrefire is more versatile than any .20 as there are a greater selection of bullets!

Some .20 users are coming back to .22 cal rifles again!

I am one of those shooters that moved over to the 20 cal - Then moved on after realising most of the ballistic claims are smoke and mirrors.

The claims of Velocities exceeding 3900 fps and BC of 0.275 ( 40 grn Vmax ) was more than enough to convince me the 20 cal would make much better mid range varmint round, than the old 223.

Owning 2 custom barrelled 204's and doing muchas testing - I found the following.

The BC's of both the 39 grn SBK and 40 grn Vmax are significantly over estimated by the manufacturers - The true BC's of the Vmax and the SBK are actually about 0.240. This is more or less validated by Nosler who show their 40 grn Bullet with a BC of 0.239 ( nearly Identical to the Vmax )

Next - I was unable to get anywhere near 3900 fps in my 24 inch Pacnor tubes - The 204's are no slouch though - the best velocity I achieved was 3750 fps - Accuracy was best at between 3650 and 3680 fps. ( which is were it ran )

So the two main factors that make the 204 so appealing ( Velocity and high BC bullets ) are exaggerated. I am not suggesting that some owners cannot get 3900 fps - but they are screwing the back side out of the round.

I had the opportunity to compare the 204 performance directly against my 223 using 40 grn Nosler bullets with a true BC of 0.220 and a muzzle velocity of 3760 fps and against the very formidable 53 grn Vmax.

At 400 yrds the 20 cal shooting a 40 grn Vmax ( True BC 0.240 ) and the 223 shooting at 40 grn Nosler ( True BC 0.220 ) where very similar - Only a click or two between them - with the 204 just edging it.

Undoubtedly the pick of the bunch was a 53 gr Vmax trundling along at 3400 fps - Less windage and hits much harder.

The 204 cal was an expensive lesson.

Regards

S

I am one of those shooters that moved over to the 20 cal - Then moved on after realising most of the ballistic claims are smoke and mirrors.

The claims of Velocities exceeding 3900 fps and BC of 0.275 ( 40 grn Vmax ) was more than enough to convince me the 20 cal would make much better mid range varmint round, than the old 223.

Owning 2 custom barrelled 204's and doing muchas testing - I found the following.

The BC's of both the 39 grn SBK and 40 grn Vmax are significantly over estimated by the manufacturers - The true BC's of the Vmax and the SBK are actually about 0.240. This is more or less validated by Nosler who show their 40 grn Bullet with a BC of 0.239 ( nearly Identical to the Vmax )

Next - I was unable to get anywhere near 3900 fps in my 24 inch Pacnor tubes - The 204's are no slouch though - the best velocity I achieved was 3750 fps - Accuracy was best at between 3650 and 3680 fps. ( which is were it ran )

So the two main factors that make the 204 so appealing ( Velocity and high BC bullets ) are exaggerated. I am not suggesting that some owners cannot get 3900 fps - but they are screwing the back side out of the round.

I had the opportunity to compare the 204 performance directly against my 223 using 40 grn Nosler bullets with a true BC of 0.220 and a muzzle velocity of 3760 fps and against the very formidable 53 grn Vmax.

At 400 yrds the 20 cal shooting a 40 grn Vmax ( True BC 0.240 ) and the 223 shooting at 40 grn Nosler ( True BC 0.220 ) where very similar - Only a click or two between them - with the 204 just edging it.

Undoubtedly the pick of the bunch was a 53 gr Vmax trundling along at 3400 fps - Less windage and hits much harder.

The 204 cal was an expensive lesson.

Regards

S

me and my mate have 204's and it's a cracking round as pointed out they can be very different animals though.my rifle has a 26" barrel to his 24" barrel,i use 25.5 gr of rl10 to his 25 gr.using 39 gr bk's i get 3650 to his 3885 and yes the bc is not as quoted we find .270 works for us.i also have a 22 br running the 53 gr vmax at 3685 if i recall,same sort of drops to the 204 and hits much harder.

Hi guys,

I currently have a .204 ruger that shoots very well, but pondering with the idea of a .223 fast twist to shoot the heavey rounds like the 75/80 grain A-Max's.

I enjoy and love long range targets and rabbit/corvid splatting with my .204 out to 500 yards.

Question is, would I benifit from a fast twist .223 shooting the 75/80's out to these ranges, I know the 204 will still be flatter shooting but will the wind drift be largely beneficial out to 500 yards, tradjectory isn't a problem as I will be dialing in.

If I got a fast twist.223 I would also like to push the ranges beyond 500/600 yards if the cartridge bullet combination will do it?

The purpose of this rifle is not to walk along a hedge row shooting rabbits etc at 120 yards, its more to be used as a vantage point static rifle shooting long range intended to be better then my 204.

Just thought id add, Id love a .260 rem or a 6.5x47 but all we have species wise over here is rabbits and corvids, no fox and no dear so the likely Ness of anyone getting a 260 rem or the likes is nill! Thought id better mention this now guys before any other suggestions!

Whats your views and thoughts guys?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

what sort of ranges do you want to reach 500 is good going with the 204 if your happy with 500 why change or are you just trying to talk yourself into buying another gun nothing wrong with that i minght add doing the same thing myself at the moment.the 223 is a great round no dout but how about a fast twist 22br or 22,250 they would realy push those 75gr amax

i switched from 204 to 223 using 75 amax and have never looked back.i shot the 223 out to 800 at the weekend and it performed very well.i allways struggled with wind calls with the 204 but that was my weakness not the 204.i found that the 204 could be loaded fast but my accurate pet load was much slower.

Archived