Howa 1500 Varmint-Brass issues

manxteddy

This is my first post .

My Howa 24" Varmint readily accepts new Cartriges with good clean ejection once fored.

However I have been full Length risizing some .223 Reminton brass from a previous rifle.A Tikka T3 which type I am told has 'big' chambers.

My cases of correct length etc have been in many cases tight to close the bolt or indeed jamed in the chamber -unfired as the bolt in some cases very tight to lift.

Discovered the Lee die gunged up.Stripped and cleaned but sizing to be with a thin ring 1 cm up from cartridge base.

Borrowd an RCBS Full length die and that has really helped matters.

The Lee is ..rubbish.

Anyone else have similar issues.

Do Howa have tight chambers ?

Thanks

Graham

This is my first post .

My Howa 24" Varmint readily accepts new Cartriges with good clean ejection once fored.

However I have been full Length risizing some .223 Reminton brass from a previous rifle.A Tikka T3 which type I am told has 'big' chambers.

My cases of correct length etc have been in many cases tight to close the bolt or indeed jamed in the chamber -unfired as the bolt in some cases very tight to lift.

Discovered the Lee die gunged up.Stripped and cleaned but sizing to be with a thin ring 1 cm up from cartridge base.

The Lee is ..rubbish.

Thanks

Graham

Simple remedy - buy some new brass!

This is my first post .

The Lee is ..rubbish.

Thanks

Graham

Yup, had the same problem with my Howa and my long gone Enfield Sterling 7.62. My Howa had a nice tight chamber too. As said; best bet is buy new brass as 223 is not expensive. If, however, you really want to use that brass reset the sizing die as per instructions and then screw down another half a turn. The thin ring you notice is indicative of the die not pushing the case far enough. This solved my problem and it may well be worth a try.

Hi I had the same problem with my Howa 1500 in 308 and I had to over cam the die to push the case back far enough to chamber in my rifle, the brass I had was from mark and was fired in his remmy 700 and in his rifle they worked fine with him just neck sizing his brass.

Rick

Thanks for the replies.

They all are very helpful.

Have now fired some new Remington rounds so I will use them.

Chaps at the club Phoenix Shooting Association said much the same thing apart from the best thing to do with Lee dies is throw them in the Mersey.

The cheek , the range is by the marsh on Dee Side !

Thanks again

Graham

Archived