248 Win Case sizing conundrum

Brillo

Glad you got it sorted.

This was touched on in Foxpig's post "New brass question'-superb first firing groups,then reloaded with serious fliers resulting....reluctant to have chamber checked.... but see post 10:

" (Fliers) maybe just aligned in a non uniform chamber in the 'worst' way.Some have tried aligning the case in the same way in the chamber next time,eg by marking the 'flier'case head at 12 o'clock...." etc

Suggestion not taken up-as far as I know-but it's odd that two sort of similar issues come up so close-wonder if it's the same 284 reamer?!...and pity the possible overlap wasn't picked up-the problem may not be the same,but it's suggestive,as most other 'causes' scarcely fittted the evidence .....plenty of chatter,just not considered in the chambering... :-)

I guess the lesson is 'assume nothing' when some odd symptoms are shown...

gbal

Mark, if the barrel has had a reamer in the chamber and re reamed it MUST be reproofed by law. Metal has been removed from the chamber.

Notwithstanding the gunsmiths legal duties (if any) when a firearm is entered onto his register and subsequently released to a customer, I thought the only legal requirement for proof was if offered for sale or exported. I'm happy to be corrected of course if that is incorrect.

Archived