advice

timberdog

hello all been off here for a while...hope your all keeping ok??????

wanted some advice from night vision scope gurus...

quite simple really got a budget of £500 looking to buy second had probally

need a night vision scope for foxing dont know much about them so if you lot can give lay mans terms that would be great?

just want to get best possible value for money with decent clarity and range as me being an old git me eyes are not getting better

makes and models would be great

Best value for money has got to be the new Yukon Photon.Outstanding performance on a par with the N550/750 at a third of the price :)

The only problem you'll have is actually getting your hands on one they're that popular

I've got a Photon on order from Scott country, they reckon mid September before any more come in. Everyone who has one reckons they are fantastic for the money £399. For foxing ranges you will probably need some extra IR illumination, the night master seems a popular choice around £150ish so total should be in around your budget.

Andy

I have a photon and imo its not a great foxing scope maybe if you only shoot to 150yrds it could work for you lots try to kid thereselves they only shoot foxes at short range but if you really need to kill a lot you must have something with better capability and the n750 with an xsearcher is the tool. atb tony

no cammo but for that money he wont get anything any good so will be wasting his £500. iam sorry but I have tried em all and don't know what to suggest but iam sure some one who shoots about 10 foxes a year with his n550 and doubler will disagree. atb tony

If the photon is only any good to 150yds with a bit of good fieldcraft he'll shoot plenty of foxes at that range.

+1-i shoot mainly 90-150yd with my pvs14 ,if you know what your doing then long range shots are not needed.

I love this i have shot many foxes in my time and most have been below 200 yards with a lamp , the reason people need night vision is missed shots ie lamp shy foxes .

Not entirely true, I find NV useful when scanning for foxes around the edges of woods etc it doesn't disturb roosting pheasants like a lamp does. It also doesn't draw unwanted attention to myself like a lamp sometimes does from anti's and other dogooders!!

Not entirely true, I find NV useful when scanning for foxes around the edges of woods etc it doesn't disturb roosting pheasants like a lamp does. It also doesn't draw unwanted attention to myself like a lamp sometimes does from anti's and other dogooders!!

Very true never thought like that as where i shoot we never have any problems with the public but i can see how nv would help this situation .

Nitewatch - if you're not keen on the Photon do you want to sell it ??

I didn't buy it for foxing v8 90 its just for rats mainly but you get first dibs mate if I cant get on with it.regarding my other comments yes a lot of foxes are taken with nv and good fieldcraft at short range but on the ground I shoot its flat and vast in places and if I cant shoot at long range it wont go down well with the keepers I help as they want em gone especially at this time of year and as iam now fulltime keepering myself now so do I .sometimes its good to see em coming from a distance when waiting so you can intersept there path and I just don't think the photon was ever built with long range in mind. good nv suitable for serious foxing costs a lot and why we might like to think cheap stuff will be ok when actually get out there and use it you WILL find it wanting on SOME of your shots and if you living depends on results then that aint good enough. atb tony

I use an N750 complete with a doubler & a NM800IR on my .204r for Foxing - I have watched foxes clearly at 700yds & have shot them out to 255yds

NW - I'm interested in a Photon to use on my T Bolt Hmr for my backend/Winter shooting.

I use an N750 complete with a doubler & a NM800IR on my .204r for Foxing - I have watched foxes clearly at 700yds & have shot them out to 255yds

NW - I'm interested in a Photon to use on my T Bolt Hmr for my backend/Winter shooting.

that would be good to see clearly @700yds.

Plus 1 for that comment Andy but THERMAL is better way better

Plus 1 for that comment Andy but THERMAL is better way better

Still not convinced by thermal Mike, hoping to catch up with barrelsniffer soon so I'll have at look at his thermal maybe ill get converted!!!!

Archived