Thinking of a barrel chop

I have a 24" 1:9 HV barrel with large muzzle can on my .22-250, ideally I wanted it for use with 75gn Amax which is does shoot well. But I'm finding the barrel length seems to make it hold sensitive (greater radius from a pivot point if that makes sense) I'm really considering chopping it to 20"-21", and dropping down to 55gn bullets as I only really had the extra length to get the most from the 75gn.

Its (was) my everyday rifle which when used with 52gn Amax and the factory barrel rarely missed anything upto 300 yards and was used on occasion much further. Has anyone done similar and how did you find it, I just want to explore all options before chopping, After all I can't stick it back on once its off :o , look forward to your opinions

Hi Akeld,

I'm not saying your wrong, just curious why you think it's the barrel length that's making it hold sensitive? I have a 20tac that shoots well from nearly any hold apart from off a bipod, and before you say it (cos I would) I shoot my .308/.270 and 6.5x47 off the same bipod with no problems at all, but the 20tac goes to sh1t off it?? Going back to your rifle, is the action bedded infront of the recoil lug or just up to the lug, maybe the action is being stressed by the cantilever effect of the heavy barrel and mod pivoting about the lug? Just an idea..

Mike

Hi Akeld,

I'm not saying your wrong, just curious why you think it's the barrel length that's making it hold sensitive? I have a 20tac that shoots well from nearly any hold apart from off a bipod, and before you say it (cos I would) I shoot my .308/.270 and 6.5x47 off the same bipod with no problems at all, but the 20tac goes to sh1t off it?? Going back to your rifle, is the action bedded infront of the recoil lug or just up to the lug, maybe the action is being stressed by the cantilever effect of the heavy barrel and mod pivoting about the lug? Just an idea..

Mike

Action is fully devcon bedded and extends 1.5" along the barrel which is fully floated, off the bench its great but when used elsewhere I think the extra length (I'm used to a 20" barrel) is magnifying any error. You do raise an interesting point though, so I'll try it again off bags. Thanks for the replies, I think I'm just used to handy rifles and I'm still getting used to this lump :)

i think barrels are long for a reason pal,if you can handle the length they shoot flatter i suppose,i use a 26 inch barrel on my 22.250, my old one was 23 and half,it did feel long at the start but i love it now,if you shorten yours and speed up the bullet it can improve it,me my self i would leave it as it is as a 22.250 is a varmint round,just my opinion cheers simon...

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll go back to a lighter flatter bullet to start with, these 75gn are just too tempreamental (unpredictable) at the moment

ive used 22.250 for years pal, but only with the slow twist barrels, is your experience with the fast twist barrels hard work as i have all ways thought about getting one,cheers simon

Simon, I'll be honest, I starting to think I should have kept it a slower twist. Its without doubt my favourite calibre but this set up and heavier bullets just aren't doing it for me, I've made up an old favourite load of 52gn Amax over Varget so hopefully I'll be back on track, if I track down any 53-60 Vmax I bung them through as well, but I'm not spending anymore on anything heavier. I think the shape of the heavier bullets makes them very sensitive. I had a friend with a 300WM and he spent an absolute fortune trying to get VLD's to work in it (which they never did)

Simon, I'll be honest, I starting to think I should have kept it a slower twist. Its without doubt my favourite calibre but this set up and heavier bullets just aren't doing it for me, I've made up an old favourite load of 52gn Amax over Varget so hopefully I'll be back on track, if I track down any 53-60 Vmax I bung them through as well, but I'm not spending anymore on anything heavier. I think the shape of the heavier bullets makes them very sensitive. I had a friend with a 300WM and he spent an absolute fortune trying to get VLD's to work in it (which they never did)

ye fair play to you, as said ive always wonderd what a 75 grain bullet would be like through a 250, i think the wind won't effect it the same,but there will be more drop and i feel as a safety thing may be not just explode the same as its not going as fast as a 50, hmme does sound good though if set up right, i was watching an american bloke shooting prairie dogs tonight at 450 yards with one ha ha, i must admit it did look good , cheers simon...

I think thats what my problem may be, unless everything is perfect, its not a forgiving bullet, on the plus side when I put some old 55gn remington through it to shoot the barrel in the extra length gave a good velocity increase, about 350fps

Archived