SHOULD I OR SHOULDN'T I

Guest Sprags

Hi all, I am considering a 'dedicated fox calibre', you know, a .222 or something like. I already have a .243 and have been told that I already have a dedicated fox calibre with this. So I am after a bit of advice as to what I should do. What do you lot reckon, stick with the .243 or get a .222 to sit along side it in my cabinet?

Thanks

Sprags

Hello pard, I had a similar delema a few years ago, not knowing which cal. to go for, I settled on a 223. You know how it goes, well should I have got this that or the other, so I got a 243 as well. But to be honest I hardly ever use the 243 on foxes, I should have stuck with what works and saved some money, although I do have a rifle for deer now. So if you happy with the 243 and it shoots well just think of the money you will save on rifle, scope and reloading etc. But on the other hand if you aren't worried about the money go for it have loads of guns :)

222 kills charlie very nicely, light on reloading costs and on the shoulder, a lot less noisy than the 243 too. I like mine and use it a lot along with the 17 rem.

I use nosler ballistic tips but have used Vmax too , 50gr. 25.5 gr BLC2 rem 71/2 primer or fed gold medal (or the CCI br).

Accuracy is excellent and kills cleanly well past 200yds. Whats to not like? great little round, mines a tikka 595 with a 6 - 25 scope on it.

Go on have a spend, you know it makes sense :)

Redfox

if u want a dedicated high power fox rifle i'll have a tikka T3 22-250 goin soon if your interested? :) if not go for the old treble 2, dont get the recognition it deserves now, cracking little round, my old fella swore by his till he swoped it in for a deer rifle

I can't speak highly enough in favor of the Triple Deuce. There is something about it that makes is ever so appealing... inherent accuracy being at the top of the list! I would love to find a CZ 527 American in The Deuce. A local gunshop had one a fellow returned because it "wasn't accurate enough" @ half MOA for three shots. I wish I'd pounced on it but I'd just gotten a CZ Hornet and already had a heavy barrel custom .222 in the vault. Hind sight! ~Andrew

hi every body this is my first post ,sprags knows me of moochers ;) rruk ring a bell :P iv shot the .223 for neally 5 yrs and it was far better than the wm.22 for foxs that we started with .i now have a .204 and its the muts nuts over the .223 i just cant go wrong wih it ,if i had to pick one out of any apart from mine it would have to be the 22.250 or even the .220 swift as theses are a true fox cal in my eyes ..you really need a fast round for foxs the faster it gets there the better ,as most on here know foxs like to move and the flater the round flys the better ;)

Hi.

I would not entertain a .222 if I already had a .243 , when I had chance of Jacko`s .243 Varminter I gave my trusty .22/250 Tikka Continental away.

The .243 does everything better and speaks with more authority.

Generally I use the 75gr V.Max now, a devastating little rascal on Bushytails, Crows etc.

HWH.

Have to agree with Tika and Stag just find yourself a decent .243 load down towards the bottom end of the available head weights.

Just remember what your scope settings are for your fox load and your deer load and you'll have no problems.

Thanks fella's, quite a few have advised me to just stick with the .243, Vim did tell me that a while ago but I never listen... :P

I will stick with it, but, I want upgrade it, I have a Remmy 700 SPS that has only fired maybe 150 rounds at the very most but I have been looking at the Sako's. I do like the look of em' and they carry a great reputation dont they?

What else is out there fella's?

Regards,Sprags!!

P.S. Welcome aboard Rob ;)

243 is certainly a superb fox cartridge. However, the 222 is also a superb fox cartridge. It uses half the powder of the 243, is superbly accurate, quieter, barely kicks and is just a joy to shoot. A very different kettle of fish to the 243.

Its very much each to his own, I prefer to use the smallest cal/ cartridge that will get the job done, dead is dead after all.

I dont shoot in gales normally and can get within 2-300yds in pretty well all cases. So the 222 and 17 do the job, on the odd occasion I feel the need for more, the 22-250 comes out and does the extra needed.

Depends a lot on where and what your shooting.

Redfox

Archived