How long does a shotgun last

beretta

Never really though about it before but haveing just watched this weeks fieldports channel mark gillcrist claims a shotgun only lasts for 20,000 shots ??? sound like bull plop to me so got me thinking , how long does a shotgun last ??ive put over 10,000 shots through my 12bore beretta and its still as new sounds a bit of a stuppid this to say to me if you look after them surely they should last indefinatly ???

I used to shoot ABT and OT and at my peak I used to shoot 15000 cartridges a year.

My Perazzi took 6 years of this without batting an eye lid.

So I think take what they say with a pinch of salt.

A cheap gun may suffer worse though?

Cheers

Dave

i wouldn't pay much attention to that statement [only good for 20,000 shots]

with good use and cleaning in a good well made modern shotgun i think you will exceed 20tho shots, by a country mile

i have a 1970s miroku 3800 and ive put well over that through her and i bought it 10 years ago second hand and the top barrel is fixed xfull and no dangerous wear to barrel or action in fact she is still tight ish as in the barrel will not drop down upon opening all the way on its own inertia [not loose OR off the face ] :)

Competition shotgun invariably uses reduce loads

Nowadays even 21 grams to save money

So numbers of cartridges shot per year doesn't put a lot of stress through the system

I know mark well

He doesn't clean his guns AT ALL

He also uses heavy game shells without any cooling off period in between when he shoots game

The other thing to note is that he gets loaned cheapo semi auto's with a lot of moving parts

This is when things gets interesting

Compounding the lot together

lack of cleaning

Lack of reduce loads

Lack of cooling period

Something is going to give

2 years ago I was shooting clays 3-4 days a week and put 40,000 Hull Sovereign Fitasc through my Perazzi. The H bolt did need replacing/repairing 2-3 times, but other than that it still looked and worked great.

More shotguns went out of proof as a result of end of year honing out of pitting due to corrosive primers etc. New semi autos made to a price my not last the hundred years or more of some side by sides but I think Kent hit the nail on the head as far as cause of death for many guns not just shotguns.

More shotguns went out of proof as a result of end of year honing out of pitting due to corrosive primers etc. New semi autos made to a price my not last the hundred years or more of some side by sides but I think Kent hit the nail on the head as far as cause of death for many guns not just shotguns.

The biggest issue with the Auto is many don't clean the action. I have seen some real early ones functioning just great. My own SX3 has only maybe done 1000-1500 but has lived a life of hell, mud and saltwater over the 5 yrs or so I have owned it, more often than not it gets a full strip down on return home. Trigger group out, bolt fully disassembled, recoil spring the lot. Its not unknown for me to get in the shower with that gun :lol:

Archived