Is there anything to stop me setting up my own RRC type shoot??!

farmer7

As per title, been practising/zeroing on steel plates on our farm for years (can shoot to 850 on the farm) with open moorland owned by a friend adjoining for really long range - (out to 2000+ yards if I could shoot that far!)

What I wondered is there anything to stop me or my like minded friends or other safe sensible shooters with insurance and open tickets to have a get together and have an informal plink/comp/zeroing session or is there more too it???? There is a shortage of places to reach out to long range up here on steel plates whilst having a get together.

I saw Tiffs 'Roundhouse Rifle Challenge' and thought I like the sound of that! Bit too far for me to travel though so wondered if I could do the something similar!! (Without the obvious costs or planning permission for a rifle range).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I don't know but I'm in Inverness area at least twice a year for stags and hinds , and if you organised something like the RRC or MQC I'd be up for giving it a try?

That would be good tackb.

Just need to find out about the legalities or otherwise. When does a field shoot/zeroing/practice session become a Range?

It would not be a money making venture just somewhere for some fun and practice/zeroing opportunities but charging a little something to help towards covering acquiring more targets and replacing worn out targets with excess going to charity.

Farmer7

If it is your land and you and your friend own the shooting rights then I can see no reason you could not 'invite' other to shoot over it.

I would be carful about charging - but 'ask' for donations :)

Obviously open license helps as does each person having thier own insurance.

Any foot paths or right of way running through where you want to shoot?

Thanks for tip Terry, donation sounds better!

There are no footpaths or tracks over where I would intend to set it up, people do have a 'right to roam' up here but I've never seen anyone walking through and any walkers would be long spotted and shooting stopped before they put themselves in danger.

My planned location has the firing point on a hill top shooting out over a heathery ,peaty plain with a natural rise beyond for a safe backstop.

The farm is owned by my father and I and my friends place is a trust but he is the beneficiary and seems to make the decisions and lets the land for stalking and walked up grouse.

Archived