Forster 3:1 carbide cutter adjustment

flyingfisherman

Ive just got the carbide cutter attachment for the forster cutter and set it up. Im not too keen on the amount of outside edge chamfer it is giving. Forster do say that its set up for neck walls of 13 thou or something, and i assume that this is why its taking more meat off as mine are 15 thou. Question is, how easy would it be to adjust or would you just pull the cutter out completely? Up until now, using a more basic trimmer, ive lightly chamfered the outside of the neck just to remover burrs.

Other interesting thing that i noticed was that cases which had pressure signs from previous firings struggled to fit in the shell holder.. And due to the head obviously being slightly swollen, it cuts it to a shorter length..

I'm not a fan of this approach. Currently I measure my cases and only trim those that exceed my desired length. Then I de-burr the freshly trimmed cases as required. I do nothing it terms of de-burr to the cases that don't need trimming. I look on trimming and de-burring as bit like wood working. You can't put the wood back, so take off as little as possible. Regards JCS

Ive just got the carbide cutter attachment for the forster cutter and set it up. Im not too keen on the amount of outside edge chamfer it is giving. Forster do say that its set up for neck walls of 13 thou or something, and i assume that this is why its taking more meat off as mine are 15 thou. Question is, how easy would it be to adjust or would you just pull the cutter out completely? Up until now, using a more basic trimmer, ive lightly chamfered the outside of the neck just to remover burrs.

Other interesting thing that i noticed was that cases which had pressure signs from previous firings struggled to fit in the shell holder.. And due to the head obviously being slightly swollen, it cuts it to a shorter length..

A buddy of mine was looking over my shoulder as I read this post. He has the same unit and says that the blades are adjustable for cut. He advises re-reading the instructions. They will tell you how it's done.~Andrew

Check that: He clarified that the instructions show how the cutters are mounted and that he simply loosened the screws and adjusted them (in his case) inward for the cut he desired. YOu can do the opposite for yours. MIght take a bit oif fiddling.

JCS,

I feel similar to yourself, just looking for a quick, consistent way of doing it. up until now, ive been measuring cases, trimming and remeasuring before chamfering and deburring. i lose the will to live doing even a batch of 75 cases!!

Andrew, thanks, i was aware that you can alter the cutters, but the instructions warn that they are precisely set in the factory and moving them by 1-2 thou is probably a bit trick..

Andrew, thanks, i was aware that you can alter the cutters, but the instructions warn that they are precisely set in the factory and moving them by 1-2 thou is probably a bit trick..

Something tells me it wouldn't be that hard.~Andrew

Archived