Any one using a 22x47?

A friend of mine has a 22-284 Built by Callum Ferguson.

Barrel life is horrendous , but I think he has video of 800 yard rabbits with it.

Its a very sick puppy indeed. :D

My wife shoots a 22-6,5x47 with 80 grain SMK's, she runs it out to 1200 yards. Moly coated 80 Grain SMK's and 40 something grains H4895SC at 3,250fps. She seems to get on well with it...

Only from memory, it was a 90 grain berger VLD and Vhit powder I think. The guy,s buddy comes on here occasionally, he may chime in.

The loaded cartridge looked "very purposeful ". We reckoned on around 600 rounds of barrel life.

Goldie, she is at 857 rounds through it. These days it only comes out to shoot groups usually at 1000/1200 yards however it is also very capable at 600...

The rifle was built by Stuart at Osprey about 5-6 years ago and Vince was involved as we had quite a discussion about shoulder angle and throat. The cases are no turn and case prep is really just a matter of neck down to 6mm, mandrel, neck down to suit the .224, mandrel and trim. Brass is good for 4-5 firings without trimming.

I have a feeling Vince may even have built a rifle with the same reamer as he was muttering about it. The rifle load development was remarkably simple. 3 shots to sight in followed by one group at .197" then one at .194" and a final one at .224" on the Diggle 100y BR range. Shot off a bipod. Vince did the measuring and we quit at that point with load 2 being chosen. She still has the test target somewhere.

It is on the police computer and her FAC as a 22-CHRISTEL and from memory the reamer came from PTG.

EDIT - Accuracy wise it is well known down here, best 600m 5 shot group was 31,0mm shot at the Ulfborg range which is in a valley in DK so ideal conditions with only slight verticals to contend with. The group was shot over about 25 minutes as she thought it might rain so kept covering the rifle up.

Memorable UK group was around 4.8" from memory, this was shot at 1200 yards, she shot something interesting at 800 and skipped the 1000y shoot apparently because she "only wanted to shoot 1200"

Barrel is a 29" TruFlite, Action is a Savage single shot target and it sits in a standard Savage BVSS laminate stock too keep it looking standard. It has a rear bag rider adjustable for elevation on the fly and she shoots a very wide custom bipod up front.

OK, I'll spare you the guessing.

It's actually a piss-take. The guys at TrueFlite made it up out of solid brass as a wind-up for Greg at NZ Hunter who's known for devising super-mags. I think it's a 6.5 and has a live primer in the back. If it were real, a barrel life of five might well be realistic :wacko:

Archived