which lamp????

Hi , First post here so here goes!!. My 10 year old tracer max lamp has blown its original bulb - its the old sealed beam type - Deben no longer list this item. So do I now try another make/manufacturer, or try and track down a new bulb. On the whole I was happy with the max - a little more distance would be useful though. Suggestions on your experiences please? Diolch, Richard.

If you're shooting foxes with a centrefire rifle then get a Lightforce 170 Striker, I'd get one with a dimmer but it's personal choice really.

If you're shooting rabbits with a rimfire then I'd get a Lightforce 140 Lance, same as above about the dimmer.

If you use a shotgun at night as well, a kit to attach both of these lamps (as long as you get them both scope mounted model) underneath the barrel of almost any shotgun is available and very good too.

Hi, thanks for replies so far. I use a sako .222 for foxes in the main, with some rimmy work on rabbits. My main concern with the lightforce lamps is the size of them - can someone tell me the diameter of the lamp?? also what size battery is reccomended etc ?? I did like the old tracer max -fairly compact-but would like a little more power. Does anyone know if the new model max has a brighter/better beam than my old one ?? . Diolch, Richard

The diameter of the Lightforce range is in the model description.Lance 140(140mm) Striker 170(170mm) & Blitz 240(240mm).

The battery size all depends on how much continuous use you need but the Lightforce are very heavy on power and need a good supply so I`d go for a 14amp which isn`t too uncomfortable to carry

To be honest I`ve always found the tracer max a bit flimsy compared to the LF for treatment that I give them so I haven`t got much to say about them

Liightforce are good but their overall size make them a pain to use.

As a rifle mounted unit I prefer a Clulite as good as the 170 Lance but is about half its overall size. Makes for a far better balanced outfit IMO

Hi , First post here so here goes!!. My 10 year old tracer max lamp has blown its original bulb - its the old sealed beam type - Deben no longer list this item. So do I now try another make/manufacturer, or try and track down a new bulb. On the whole I was happy with the max - a little more distance would be useful though. Suggestions on your experiences please? Diolch, Richard.

Hi rich2a

I totally agree with all the guys so far the 170 is probably best route to go :( , you could possibly use one of the Blazerlites , sligthly smaller size and they make 2 models, a 1 mllion & 2 million C/P rating, if your mounting on the rifle i would personally say that the Lightforce is the more secure mounting. The dimmer is a worthwhile bit of kit, only probelm i had with it was adding additional length to the cabling and require 2 hands to operate so better to buy one of the adjustable types or you can do as i did and adapt the handle to incorparate the separate dimmer unit. Have fun dude

Cheers Steve

Glad to see you got the posting right next step is to get some photos on here, it took me a few goes :(

As alot of the guys have said lightforce 140 / 170 , over there years I have had them all but these I would say are top of the tree at the moment,the dimmer does help some times but if you want to cut down the light for rabbits put a red filter on , it dosent tend to make them to jumpy.

Good luck cheers Andy :(

Liightforce are good but their overall size make them a pain to use.

As a rifle mounted unit I prefer a Clulite as good as the 170 Lance but is about half its overall size. Makes for a far better balanced outfit IMO

hi doc

I'm afraid i will have to disagree with you on this one, i have been out with a clulite and they are not a patch on a lightforce lamp.

if clulite where the only lamps available i would pack up. :(

ATB

Colin :(

Another thing, the scope mounted Lightforces are as easy to use as "handheld" lamps as the proper handheld version themselves. The ideal lamp for a fox shooter is the 170 as it gives better illumination at range than the 140 and doesn't catch near as much wind as the Blitz 240, which of course can't be scope mounted (thank God as the rifle would fly away in the wind). I have used and own all three models. If I had to pick one of them for all jobs it'd be a scope mounted Striker 170 with dimmer but that's just my 2 cents, everyones different :(

Best made gunlight bar none, superb quality and finish. http://www.nightsearcher.co.uk/acatalog/Gunlights2.html

ALthough I only use it for rabbits.

For Foxing /cf rifle I cant do with all the gubbins/ weight on the rifle, I can hand hold the lamp using my wrist as a rest, or take a friend to lamp, much easier.

Redfox

hi doc

I'm afraid i will have to disagree with you on this one, i have been out with a clulite and they are not a patch on a lightforce lamp.

if clulite where the only lamps available i would pack up. :angry:

ATB

Colin :angry:

There are different models of Clulite, my guess is you were out using the 500,000 C/P model. The new 1M C/P models are excellent bits of kit. Just as bright and long reaching as the Lance, less peripheral scatter, with none of this having to tune the lens in sodding about that you have to do with the Lance to get the best performance. With the added bonus if its smaller size, less weight and less frontal area acting as a sail in the wind. BINGO! :D

Do you do much lamping Colin? Whats the tally to your own rifle so far for this year or last year?

I use the Cluson Lazerlite, and have recently purchased the Blazerlite, and have found them to be great, but having not used the Lightforce, i can't compare the two.

I was toying with the idea of getting a lightforce, but having used the Lazerlite for over 7 years i then upgraded to the Bazerlite for pure foxing.

Maybe i'll get a lightforce to try and compare the two.(can't have too many lamps now can i :angry: )

The two FC rangers i worked with while in Scotland used the lightforce, but they said the switches burnt out pretty quick???

There are different models of Clulite, my guess is you were out using the 500,000 C/P model. The new 1M C/P models are excellent bits of kit. Just as bright and long reaching as the Lance, less peripheral scatter, with none of this having to tune the lens in sodding about that you have to do with the Lance to get the best performance. With the added bonus if its smaller size, less weight and less frontal area acting as a sail in the wind. BINGO! :lol:

Do you do much lamping Colin? Whats the tally to your own rifle so far for this year or last year?

i do go lamping, and i have 3x 240s(one of roof mounted) 1 x 170 and a 140. i all so have a scope mounted light that a farmer is using right now, i think this is a clulite.

i was out last sat night if that matters to you, as for tally well i am happy with the amount i get out, and i am all so very kind and let others shoot, but none of this is about my judgment of lights now is it.

if you are happy with your choice then fine, but i would not ever go out with one again.

ATB

Colin :lol:

Hi Richard,

I have got a scope mounted lightforce 170 with a dimmer, also a hand held 140. The lenses are interchangeable between the 2 models so I could turn the hand held into a 170 and vice versa. As John said, the scope mounted one can be easily used hand held.

Whereabouts are you in West Wales? You're more than welcome to come and have a look and judge them for yourself.

DSC01499.jpg

DSC01498.jpg

Hwyl,

Jinks.

Hi , ta for all replies - lightforce seem fav ? as a temp I`ve got a new lamp for the tracer- just on the way out to try it out!!!!! nice dark night, with a light wind also. Diolch yn fawr, Richard. ;)

Archived