Mannlicher Pro Hunter Mountain

Well I went shopping today and this is what I came home with…..Mannlicher Pro Hunter Mountain, in .243 and 20” barrel.

Glass to go on the top is S&B 8X56 and it will be used for foxes and the occasional deer.

T8 mod on the end of it plus Leupold base and rings.

Cant wait to fit the scope on top and to punch some paper, hopefully Monday!

I liked the way it felt when handled and like the way the safety and trigger operated. From the box the trigger feels fine and has 2 settings.

Once I get to play with it a bit more I will do a proper review.

Mann.jpg

Mann1.jpg

Mann2.jpg

Mann3.jpg

Jerry

Nice looking rifle Jerry, be interesting to read the review of the newer model.

Nice rifle!

I had a look at one when I was looking for a 6.5x55. They feel really good and easy to carry and I really liked the look of the barrel. I take it the trigger is the set type from what you're saying? What put me off in the end was all the talk of flexing stocks on them. Since it's the mkII you shouldn't have any problems with it, but that small niggle put me off at the time. The engineering on the action is very good, much better than on my Tikka. If I ever try a .223, I think that's the rifle I'm going to buy.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Nice rifle!

I had a look at one when I was looking for a 6.5x55. They feel really good and easy to carry and I really liked the look of the barrel. I take it the trigger is the set type from what you're saying? What put me off in the end was all the talk of flexing stocks on them. Since it's the mkII you shouldn't have any problems with it, but that small niggle put me off at the time. The engineering on the action is very good, much better than on my Tikka. If I ever try a .223, I think that's the rifle I'm going to buy.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Like you I was worried about the foreend flexing but the new ones seem to be OK, they did show me what needs doing if it prooves a problem but recenlty they have not heard of any problems.

I will report back once it is up and running.

Jerry

Hope you have better luck than me. Mine was an early stainless synthetic 243. It's zero wandered unbelievably and off a bipod it shot patterns as opposed to groups (and yes, the barrel WAS free floating, and by a good margin). I hate the way the bolt shoots up with a loud clunk as you push the safety off- certain to alarm quarry. The barrel isn't threaded and screwed into the action, it's a 'shrink fit', making re-barreling an expensive proposition which not many smiths will carry out. I don't want to pee on your chips, but I think you could have chosen better. I got a full refund for mine. If you have any problems, make sure you return it promptly.

Hope you have better luck than me. Mine was an early stainless synthetic 243. It's zero wandered unbelievably and off a bipod it shot patterns as opposed to groups (and yes, the barrel WAS free floating, and by a good margin). I hate the way the bolt shoots up with a loud clunk as you push the safety off- certain to alarm quarry. The barrel isn't threaded and screwed into the action, it's a 'shrink fit', making re-barreling an expensive proposition which not many smiths will carry out. I don't want to pee on your chips, but I think you could have chosen better. I got a full refund for mine. If you have any problems, make sure you return it promptly.

First Impressions-

Many thanks to a friend for coming out this afternoon to help me set up the .243 Mannlicher Pro Hunter Mountain

Unfortunately the preferred scope was not available but Simon has leant me a Bushnell for now. A little playing around and that was mounted and we gave the gun/bore a decent clean to remove all traces of oil.

Up across the farm to a field with a good backstop and target board set out at 100m approx. Walked back 20m and I loaded the magazine with 3 of Simon’s home loads, 87gr ballistic tips if I remember correctly.

Shooting off sticks into the target to see how we are and low and to the left. Correct the scope and try again, not so bad so we move back 30m and try another 3 shot group. This required a little work and I made a real horlicks of one shot, pull to the left and high…ouch!

Another tweek on the scope and then back to 100m and shooting of the bonnet of our pick up using a sand bag of Simons. 3 shots and things are high and to the left, adjust and try again, better, more adjustment and try a final 4 shot group as the light is going.

This is much better, sub 2” group, if only 3 shots counted then it would have been about ½” better. So considering this is a brand new rifle it seems to be performing ok, certainly using home loads was an advantage in many ways to zero. Tomorrow I will be trying some Federal 100gr soft point to see how that goes.

As for the rifle:

I really like the 3 position safety. Fool proof and simple.

Trigger, I have not played around with it yet and don’t think I need to at the moment, not tried the second position as yet but will do soon.

Bolt, this is one of the things that help sell me the rifle after the safety, it is very smooth indeed, very nice.

The magazine, likewise, simple and maintenance free.

Stock, seems perfect, fits me well, nice and firm and a good gripping surface, over all weight seems fine.

In summary I am very pleased, I think this will make a very fine foxing/deer rifle.

Jerry

I had a few years ago a Remy 700 mountain rifle in 243win , I had terrible trouble finding a factory round that would group in it ,It wouldnt throw a heavy bullet , groups for 100grn were 8", at that time the only thing I could lighter was 75grn and this took it down to 3" :angry: ,I didnt keep it for long change it for a Sako 75, :angry:

Hope it works well for you , if your loading yr own I dout you will have any probs :D Good hunting. :D

I had a few years ago a Remy 700 mountain rifle in 243win , I had terrible trouble finding a factory round that would group in it ,It wouldnt throw a heavy bullet , groups for 100grn were 8", at that time the only thing I could lighter was 75grn and this took it down to 3" :lol: ,I didnt keep it for long change it for a Sako 75, :lol:

Hope it works well for you , if your loading yr own I dout you will have any probs :lol: Good hunting. ;)

Had a decent result today, though have to re zero now the proper scope is sat on top:

Schmidt & Bender8X56. The result is a nice looking set up even though I say so myself.

MannComp1.jpg

MannComp2.jpg

MannComp.jpg

I did not have time to re-zero the scope but before I put the new scope on top I ran some Federal 100gr hollow points through the rifle using the scope I was leant by Simon.

Target board at 100m shooting prone off the bipod:

First 3 shots were high (4”) and to the left (2”), so a quick adjust and I ran 3 more rounds through, the result as below,

MannZero.jpg

More than happy with that group for factory ammo so will now set up the new scope properly and see how we go, looking OK at the moment!

Jerry

Archived