What makes an accurate bullet?

dannywayoflife

As per title what makes an accurate bullet? I ask as I'm just about to develop some loads in my 6.5x55 and have 2 brands of 140 grain bullets. 1 a known big brand and another very cheap brand.

I have weighed and measured base to ogive on both bullets and if I'm honest the cheap bullets are more consistent! Certainly on length. Only down side is it has a lower BC

Statistically consistency should mean a more accurate bulllet.

A BC is just a measure of how areo dynamic a bullet is.

However just to be awkward I think the relationship between rifle and bullet is ultimately what will influence accuracy.

I'm sure there are better minds than I which will comment.

I assumed that consistency would mean more accurate. I hope the cheaper bullets go well! ;)[/quot

I would be surprised if accurate measurements of the most critical dimensions showed that the 'big naame' bullets were worse than the cheap ones.But rifles have their preferences,and it is just possible the cheapos will shoot better-if a barrel does not like bullet x,consistency just means it does not like bullet x consistently! It might like bullet y better,even if bullet y is less consistent.You need both-a bullet the barrel likes a lot,and consistency in that bullet.

Gbal

Danny,

As Chris noted, there are meny 'hidden' differences. A good friend who is a top F-Class shooter measures and batches his bullets taling weight, bearing surface lenth etc. into account. He also has a 'junke' (sp?) machine that measures the jacket thickness and concentricity. This all adds to censistency at distance.

I feel the quality of materials used must also play a part.

The bottom line is obviously how the particular bullet performs in your rifle.

Brgds Terry.

As per title what makes an accurate bullet? I ask as I'm just about to develop some loads in my 6.5x55 and have 2 brands of 140 grain bullets. 1 a known big brand and another very cheap brand.

I have weighed and measured base to ogive on both bullets and if I'm honest the cheap bullets are more consistent! Certainly on length. Only down side is it has a lower BC

They key consistency,assuming normal tolerances of quality bullets externally,is in the consistency of the core-is the bullet balanced just like the others-nosmall air pockets etc,which might just show weight differences-but the same weight bullets might have flaws miscellaneously distributed inside.Not goodat long range.What you see isn't always what you get.

Gbal

Archived