What powder/s .223 60-90gr bullets

Brummy Mark

Im getting so many different opinions on this, some of them come down to the standard Varget, N130 N133 and 135 or whatever powder happens to be on the shelf at the time.

I have been playing around with N130 for bullets in the weight range of 50 to 60gr and getting good repeatable accuracy and grouping.

However I have a new rifle coming very soon and will be starting from scratch again, and will be using it with heavier weight bullets from 60 to 80gr+.

.223, Bartlein heavy varmint 5R 1.725 twist and 21.75" barrel length ( was supposed to be a bit longer but someone stuffed up!, not me I hasten to add )

I have been crunching powders on QL, plus keeping an eye on where the P1 and Pmax lines are inline, as I have noticed loads that have these 2 lines over the top of each other have been my most accurate loads,hmmmm??

I know this topic may have been done to death, but with the current powder famine getting worse I would really like some real world feedback on powder choice, I have heard about TR140 being used for heavier bullets in 223, how temperature stable is it for the temps we get in the UK.

So you valued input,

Thanks in advance.

M

60 vmax 27 gr varget

75 gr 25 gr varget.

60 load shoots half inch higher.

22" border 1-8"

I concour with my 1-8 18" factory Sako barrel

Although I was a dyed in the wool Varget man, Baldie put me on to V140 which has performed just that little bit better for me and is now my 1st choice for bullets of the weight you mention.

There are many people now advocating TR140 as an equivalent for this, but I can't comment from personal experience.

Mmmmm,,,,if you had said 21.75 and 1/9 or 1/12 then with 50 to 73grainers this would have made sense,,,,,someone did stuff up then?? Anyway I do have quite a bit of experience with 1 in 8 at this length but only with heads from 52 to 73g,,,,,,,,,I will look up loads that worked well but do not have them to hand at the moment.You seek a different range of heads 60/80+ and will post back but probably 135 is gonna be the "compromise" powder across that range.Not sure why you would go beyond 80 g from that barrell?

Uncompromised it would probably be 133 for 60g through to 140 for 80g,s,,,,,,,,,,Think thats where I,d be,,,,,,, but short and fast barrels dictate light and fast everything but we,re all different,,,,,What,s the new rig then????? Kind regards Onehole.

Thanks so far chaps.

Onehole! cheers for going digging for some load data. The rifle is based on a remmy 700 vssf action, sitting in an adjustable McMillan A5 marbled stock. Ill get some pics up once I get my mitts on it, which should be in a couple of weeks.

Mmmmm,,,,if you had said 21.75 and 1/9 or 1/12 then with 50 to 73grainers this would have made sense,,,,,someone did stuff up then?? Anyway I do have quite a bit of experience with 1 in 8 at this length but only with heads from 52 to 73g,,,,,,,,,I will look up loads that worked well but do not have them to hand at the moment.You seek a different range of heads 60/80+ and will post back but probably 135 is gonna be the "compromise" powder across that range.Not sure why you would go beyond 80 g from that barrell?

Uncompromised it would probably be 133 for 60g through to 140 for 80g,s,,,,,,,,,,Think thats where I,d be,,,,,,, but short and fast barrels dictate light and fast everything but we,re all different,,,,,What,s the new rig then????? Kind regards Onehole.

Right,,,,found these loads which were used on a Sako 75 8 twist similar length barrel because a threading job was messed up and lost about an inch in repair,,,,,135 was the powder 23.5g for Sierra 69MK 5t/o lands and 22.5 for Bergers 73g BT 5t/o lands,,,these were mild loads but just stonking accurate.This rifle was mainly used for varminting though with 52 Amax and 23.5/Vit133.I do have some recall of trying 140 with the Bergers but 135 gave better accuracy,,,,cheers Onehole.

also mark remember that on QL the powder burn rate is only near enough, and once you put in all the correct date in, including h2o measure, then you must chrono that load, which the if you adjust the burn rate of the powder to match your fps, then you can work out the pmax and z1 lines.

QL is only as good as what you put init, and good for looking for a safe start load as well

Archived