Conservative load data?

Toots

Just wondering how conservative Lee load data is? Been working up a load for .243 with 90gr nosler bt, Vit N160 and fed gold primers in lapua brass. Lee load data gives max load of 40.9gr. Now I'm of the general opinion that they know more than me when it comes to such things so stuck to this as gospel (so far!) and the tightest groups I got (under 1") were with 36 gr. I read some of you are running things a little hotter than this though, some up to 46gr. Can't say I'm unhappy with the grouping obtained with a (meagre) 36 grain load through my rem 700 standard profile barrel but can't help thinking that if I had a bushy tail or antlers and someone was going to shoot me then I'd want that bullet to have as much energy as possible to do the job properly. What is a man to do :blink: ?

Just wondering how conservative Lee load data is? Been working up a load for .243 with 90gr nosler bt, Vit N160 and fed gold primers in lapua brass. Lee load data gives max load of 40.9gr. Now I'm of the general opinion that they know more than me when it comes to such things so stuck to this as gospel (so far!) and the tightest groups I got (under 1") were with 36 gr. I read some of you are running things a little hotter than this though, some up to 46gr. Can't say I'm unhappy with the grouping obtained with a (meagre) 36 grain load through my rem 700 standard profile barrel but can't help thinking that if I had a bushy tail or antlers and someone was going to shoot me then I'd want that bullet to have as much energy as possible to do the job properly. What is a man to do :blink: ?

Vihtavouri recomend max load of 43.2 grains of 160 for one brand of 90grain ammo and 40.9grains for 95grain full metal jacket so I guess it is down to the indavidual rifle and ammo combination. for instance balistic silver tip may be able to take a hotter load because there will be less friction as it passes up the barrel.

http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/pdfs/Reloading-Guide.pdf

Dave

A man should believe the outfit that takes liability for what they print, and who gets their data directly from the powder manufacturers.

Loading hot is a stupid practice that will eventually take it's toll on you gun. I am always surprised that we here in the US can own as many long guns as we wish yet you will seldom see anyone posting that they are considering loading FIFTEEN PERCENT over listed maximum. On some of the UK sites, however, where owners are limited to the number of guns they can own, you frequently see posts about edging over maximum in their pets.

Do you own a chronograph? If so. Step up the load in half grain increments and see how quickly the velocity gains flatten out as you approach maximum. I have been loading for about 40 years and have loaded over 100 different cartridges at last count. They are all different exercises but one rule has held true: Loading over maximum gains you nothing but shorter brass life, shorter barrel life, and a lot of stress on your breech. ~Andrew

Toots, speed isnt always the answer, if your happy with your groups with a 36 grain charge then stick with it, mess about with seating depths to pull it in more, even with 36gr that bullets going to have enough down range energy to topple somthin over at ranges which most of us will never shoot and a live target, so dont worry about higher charges, dont even try them, you've found a good load so stick with it, why complicate things, with high pressure and as Andrew said shortened barrel life!

For example, my 308 its just about punching single holes with soft nose hunting bullets at relativly low powder charges, (only just started messin about with lapua scenars :P ) and dont think it wont be enough to knock things over, the simple thing to remeber is, as my good friend ratwhiskers keeps saying to me, accuracy insures a kill, not speed!

Hi all.

My Vit. Reloading Guide states 45.4gr of N160 with the Sako bullet No.SP 112E [90grain.]

They recommend starting 10-15% below their listed charges.

Another thing to always remember is that different brass has different internal capacities therefore what may be a safe load in one may be over the top in another.

I too have been re-loading for well over 40 years and as yet have had neither accident nor incident, long may it continue so !

HWH.

Archived