90gr Bergers .243 which Powder

furrybean

Ive been invitied to a 500yrds range day and I've got loads of N140 and a small amount of 160. Now in the books the 160 is the obvious choice but playing with quickload and the 140 is up there on velocity.

Is it rediculois to use the 140 to develop a load for these?

I've used RE15 (similar burn rate to N140) to good effect with 87 grain V-max, less of a full case and down on velocity compared to a slower powder but very accurate out to the ranges you're talking about. However N160 would be the better choice. You can also try RE17 (or the cheaper identical Elcho 17) which gives good velocity and accuracy (depending on temperatures...!).

In a few cals I have experience with ,,,,A faster powder than normal application has produced superb results,,,,strong suspicion "factory" loads go with a "quick" powder.Vit 140 is clean burning too!! However in your case vit 150 may be a better way to go??

I am using N160 just now in my 243 AI, but I would suggest trying both powders. Velocity is not everything. I've been working on a couple of loads recently and I shot them both at 230yds to see which one performed better at longer range. Regards JCS

Well that was rubbish

Best was 1.3"

Its a new Mcmillan stock with the recoil lug from an old rifle as per Mcmillan recommendations. Its hard up against the recoil face but a loose fit.

Also I was shooing 10thou off lands.

I might try more jump if I get a chance

• 4 weeks later...

Archived