6br-convince me please

That the one you swapped graham? If so it shoots superb I've shot it. And was tempted to buy it when he was thinking of selling

The t3 stainless on here for sale in 6br with mcmillan stock. Mod and dies is a bargain

and imo is good because it feeds from mag which is a bonus

Yes thats the one-im just waiting for my ticket to come back with a variation for a spare 6mm barrel for a switch gun with my .22br im going 6br.once you have had one its a itch you always have to scratch.

I love my 6mmbr. Good choice for all rounder. I like mine being a single shot as I hate loosing brass and it make me more careful. I shot 87gr v-max for foxing and 105gr A-max for long range varminting.

The recoil is so mild it is lovely to shoot.

Same ammo as I use, works real well in my Br.

Essentially,yes ,Simon.

The issue is really the BC-for longer range the higher the BC the better,and that means in practice a heavy bullet (heavy for the calibre)-and a heavy bullet needs a fast twist to stabilise it.and of course,enough velocity so that it remains super sonic.

You might occasionally read that someones 1 in x will shoot,and someone else's 1 in x won't shoot some bullet-on the limits,there are sometimes small differences in barrels-maybe a quarter turn more/less twist', so that explains the apparent difference-there really is a twist difference either side of the 'critical ' limit,and barrels just differ a little-same with fps-not a lot,but they are not all clones.

In an accurate cartridge (ppc,BR) there isn't much accuracy trade off for the fast barrels,if lucky almost none,but essentially the slow twists are just not in the game at all at long range,and the fast twists are very much in it-especially in benign conditions.

All this has changed the game a lot-there was a time when eg there were only 100g hunting profile bullets (low BC)for the 243,but with modern heavy (115 Dtac) target oriented (hi BC)bullets,and fast twist,we have a very different cartridge,and it's essentially a quite different cartridge so loaded.Ditto 223,and others-so if an old timer says the xxx is limited,check he is up to speed and twist.

The search for the 'do it all' with one loading is largely doomed to compromise,but cartridges like the BR can extend the useable envelope quite a bit with a single loading,and be suitable and shootable.And not many really need to shoot at very long range,and if they do,will pretty soon want something that does not handicap them-a hot 7mm,currently,and won't want it for 200 yard bunnies.

The one gun man is like the one spanner mechanic,the 6BR though is quite an adjustable wrench.Perhaps one club golfer is a better analogy,but not the putter!(or Hornet,if we want to stir things up a bit) :-)

Gbal

ye cheers gbal,thanks agaln, going back to this BR thread, with what i hear from folk this round is serious,to me it sounds like a 6ppc on steroids ,sounds good to me,that could be my next project,cheers simon....

Yeah being following this post,,,,,didn,t know whether to jump in or not but Simon6ppc I think you nailed it with "6PPC on steroids" and thats really just what it is,,,,a good candidate for a one man one gun solution in an 8T,,,,so versatile,,no disappointments.

Yeah being following this post,,,,,didn,t know whether to jump in or not but Simon6ppc I think you nailed it with "6PPC on steroids" and thats really just what it is,,,,a good candidate for a one man one gun solution in an 8T,,,,so versatile,,no disappointments.

ye one hole i have friends who like me have used 222,s 223,s 22.250,s and to me which is the ultimate round ive ever used the 6ppc, and they have all moved to 6BR and all swear by it and would not now go back to the old calibers i just mentioned,so it must be serious to shoot, i do think i will own one in time to come but as yet ive got my hands full with the pindell palmisano cartridge which ive used for nearly 15 years, cheers simon....

ye one hole i have friends who like me have used 222,s 223,s 22.250,s and to me which is the ultimate round ive ever used the 6ppc, and they have all moved to 6BR and all swear by it and would not now go back to the old calibers i just mentioned,so it must be serious to shoot, i do think i will own one in time to come

but as yet ive got my hands full with the pindell palmisano cartridge which ive used for nearly 15 years, cheers simon....

Simon,a really good ppc is a joy-and most are very good because it was only available in very limited factory choice,so the vast majority of ppc's are custom-some very high class-typically used by BR shooters at 100/200.It may well be that with equivalent rifles some of the other 22 cfs would come close-but they won't beat the ppc.As field rifles,the difference is less important.The 6BR was a separate development by remington to compete (perhaps fuelled by cold war,and boost use of their BR case )with the russian case derived ppc,but it isn't a modified ppc-though 'on steroids' captures it's better ballistics.It is essentially a short 308 case,with small primer.It did have some success-it outscores the ppc because it is a bigger hole in 30 BR,so clips more rings,but isn't more accurate.As a longer range cartridge in 6BR (norma) it excels,and is superior to the ppc-which is a bit underpowerd beyond 300 yards,and the 6BR is pretty good out to twice that-hence it's popularity for vermin,as well as some competition use like 300m CISM.And it is so shootable.With fast twist and heavy bullets the 6BR is 1000 viable,in fairly benign conditions,but is no match for the hot 7s etc.

No wonder it is so popular.Pity there are so few factory rifles,but they might not be good enough to exploit it

If you don't shoot beyond 250/300 yards,and are not seriously competitive,no reason really to change to 6BR,if you want a 600 y capable and accurate shootable rifle,very few are better.If you want to amuse yourself quite pleasantly at long range,but get beaten the 6BR is a good choice-in a fast twist barrel.The fast twist will shoot very well indeed at all distances,and would be the best 'one rifle' choice,especially if energy delivery for deer is not a concern.Easy to reload too.

Gbal

Simon,a really good ppc is a joy-and most are very good because it was only available in very limited factory choice,so the vast majority of ppc's are custom-some very high class-typically used by BR shooters at 100/200.It may well be that with equivalent rifles some of the other 22 cfs would come close-but they won't beat the ppc.As field rifles,the difference is less important.The 6BR was a separate development by remington to compete (perhaps fuelled by cold war,and boost use of their BR case )with the russian case derived ppc,but it isn't a modified ppc-though 'on steroids' captures it's better ballistics.It is essentially a short 308 case,with small primer.It did have some success-it outscores the ppc because it is a bigger hole in 30 BR,so clips more rings,but isn't more accurate.As a longer range cartridge in 6BR (norma) it excels,and is superior to the ppc-which is a bit underpowerd beyond 300 yards,and the 6BR is pretty good out to twice that-hence it's popularity for vermin,as well as some competition use like 300m CISM.And it is so shootable.With fast twist and heavy bullets the 6BR is 1000 viable,in fairly benign conditions,but is no match for the hot 7s etc.

No wonder it is so popular.Pity there are so few factory rifles,but they might not be good enough to exploit it

If you don't shoot beyond 250/300 yards,and are not seriously competitive,no reason really to change to 6BR,if you want a 600 y capable and accurate shootable rifle,very few are better.If you want to amuse yourself quite pleasantly at long range,but get beaten the 6BR is a good choice-in a fast twist barrel.The fast twist will shoot very well indeed at all distances,and would be the best 'one rifle' choice,especially if energy delivery for deer is not a concern.Easy to reload too.

Gbal

ye pal.to be honest i am a fox shooter at hart but i have the obsession with serious accuracy as well.and don,t laugh but i only got the internet last year which as you know as opened up a new world of shooting and meeting folk like your self ,but like you say the BR is a good 600 yard gun in the right hands which at night is to far for me due to safety.i know my ppc,s inside and out up to 300yards and thats why ive never changed, but ye who knows in time to come i might just apply for a 6BR for deer or just paper punching at an extra 300 yard,thanks again for replying simon...

• 2 weeks later...

Convinced i was, just need brass to arrive andbim away!

1BA347B2-B983-4389-B171-5EA776F784B2-318

Convinced i was, just need brass to arrive andbim away!

1BA347B2-B983-4389-B171-5EA776F784B2-318

that looks a serious shooter pal,bet you cant wait to let loose with it...

Archived